Forums / Community / General Discussion

Reach character pack coming to Gears 5

OP tuhin94

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
NEXUS NX wrote:
This is going to really fun and really weird at the same time. Imaging playing Gears 5 KOTH with Marcus Fenix, a Terminator and Kat all on the battlefield!
My feelings exactly. It’s going to be strange seeing a Spartan take cover and roadie run too haha.
As a huge Gears of War fan, this is awesome.
An interesting concept, but as I never got into Gear and dislike Spartans, does not get me excited for the game.
Geoffyz wrote:
I'm not really excited. I think it's cool that games feature characters from other popular games, but this doesn't really motivate me to buy Gears 5.
I'm beyond excited about this! I feel like these are the first of many more to come.
Do you collect digital content too?
Anything and everything Halo related.
What blasphemy is this? Why Emile doesn't have a shotgun in that picture?
What blasphemy is this? Why Emile doesn't have a shotgun in that picture?
I hear he used to use his shotgun to snipe across the map. Perhaps he is evolving his methods a bit 😆
I haven’t touched a gears since 3, until a couple days ago when I realized gears 4 was free. Bad story but other wise fun, and got me back into the series so good timing on this.

Unfortunately though borderlands 3 releases that same week soooo. But I plan on getting it eventually.
The thing about Gears 5 is that we know pretty much nothing about hte campaign, even with the new trailer that came out at Gamescom. They're really, really pushing the 'Payload Defense' multiplayer mode and not only are they doing a Terminator Dark Fate promotion, but now bringing in two fully modeled and voiced characters from Halo Reach?

Given how 'meh' Gears 4 was and how it really didn't do anything new other than add annoying Whedon-snark to it's trio of unlikable main characters, I just really don't have a lot of hope for Gears 5. It really makes me worry about the quality of the campaign (the only thing I play games for). I'm afraid that they know the campaign is awful and they really want to rake in a sufficient amount of cash by pandering to different fanbases.

But on a funny (the sad kind of funny) note, Gears is another series that had it's definitive ending, just like Halo but now it's been zombied back to life by studio that doesn't really know what they're doing with the franchise nor do they understand it very well. Sad how far the two big flagships of the Xbox have fallen.

But if Microsoft wanted to keep doing this, I wouldn't mind it if they bought the rights to Crimson Skies and made a modern Mechassault game. I think those two games would really, really benefit from the infusion of new technology into their gameplay and worlds. Plus those franchises have been dead for so long that it wouldn't feel like a cashgrab, like the Gears 5 promotions do.

Or like Halo Wars 2 did.
I don’t like the newer gears
The thing about Gears 5 is that we know pretty much nothing about hte campaign, even with the new trailer that came out at Gamescom. They're really, really pushing the 'Payload Defense' multiplayer mode and not only are they doing a Terminator Dark Fate promotion, but now bringing in two fully modeled and voiced characters from Halo Reach?

Given how 'meh' Gears 4 was and how it really didn't do anything new other than add annoying Whedon-snark to it's trio of unlikable main characters, I just really don't have a lot of hope for Gears 5. It really makes me worry about the quality of the campaign (the only thing I play games for). I'm afraid that they know the campaign is awful and they really want to rake in a sufficient amount of cash by pandering to different fanbases.

But on a funny (the sad kind of funny) note, Gears is another series that had it's definitive ending, just like Halo but now it's been zombied back to life by studio that doesn't really know what they're doing with the franchise nor do they understand it very well. Sad how far the two big flagships of the Xbox have fallen.

But if Microsoft wanted to keep doing this, I wouldn't mind it if they bought the rights to Crimson Skies and made a modern Mechassault game. I think those two games would really, really benefit from the infusion of new technology into their gameplay and worlds. Plus those franchises have been dead for so long that it wouldn't feel like a cashgrab, like the Gears 5 promotions do.

Or like Halo Wars 2 did.
This is what I find kinda interesting about all this. I love seeing Halo getting some exposure in another game, but crossovers like this tend to appear gimmicky. I'm not saying that this is entirely a gimmick, but it's definitely not a coincidence that 343 is trying to promote Reach on MCC and MCC on PC while also getting Reach main characters into a different game.

The marketing benefits go both ways of course. Halo fans who aren't necessarily into Gears are now getting their news feeds flooded with Gears content, and Gears fans are now getting their news feeds flooded with Halo content. So I'm not really against this marketing plan, since it could benefit both franchises. It's not necessarily a good or a bad thing to do this imo. But at the end of the day, it's a marketing strategy.

None of this is surprising of course. Just interesting to me is all.
I like it but it sucks that its only implemented in the multiplayer i would love to as a spartan in the campaign
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2