Forums / Community / General Discussion

Remaster of a Remaster

OP SmallishWord892

I really feel that Halo CE needs a much more better anniversary treatment like Halo 2 Anniversary. I really want Blur to work one it. It will be awesome to see those classic cutscenes and levels in the a much more better way. There are some problems with cea like that blood splatter inside the elevator in 343 gs which can be improved. I just want to say that as next year will be Halo's 20th anniversary, it will be really nice to have a special anniversary treatment for ce for the Xbox One, Series X and PC
Even if an Anniversary Edition was again in the works, H3 would be the next in line for treatment. But as has been discussed before, 343 should continue focusing on new content instead of rehashing old content from the previous company.
I think the remaster trend needs to slow down or end so that new titles can be worked on and introduced. Seems like all we got this generation were new indie titles and refurbished triple a titles. Guess we can thank the internet for the industry as a whole for not wanting to take a risk on new IP's for the xbox one at least. Only reason I have played many remasters was to revisit achievements.
This is exactly why I'm so happy MCC is coming to pc. Once mod support is finally out there, I'm sure people will be adding new textures and models to the games to basically give them a remaster treatment. I could see Halo having a pretty healthy modding scene if done correctly.
We really don't need this, like, at all.
This is exactly why I'm so happy MCC is coming to pc. Once mod support is finally out there, I'm sure people will be adding new textures and models to the games to basically give them a remaster treatment. I could see Halo having a pretty healthy modding scene if done correctly.
Yeah but still those gorgeous cutsecnes like halo 2 anniversary can't be created
tsassi wrote:
I actually want to see those Blur made cutsecnes like those from Halo 2 anniversary
I get what you're saying about the cutscenes. The Blur cutscenes are amazing.

But if they're going to dump some time into it, why not just do that independently, or even better, make a live action version of it? No reason to re-release and re-hash it.
Would be cool to see such an old game in the slipspace engine, and I would hope they would make it feel more like the original. CEA looks nice but it has too vibrant, it kinda ruins the original atmosphere on many missions.
I really don't think Halo Combat Evolved should turn into something like Skyrim at this point. Id much rather 343i focus on something new instead of trying to sell basically same game over & over again.

Though I would be interested to see what 343i would be able to do as their own game with own universe and setting at some point too instead of just Halo.
tsassi wrote:
I actually want to see those Blur made cutsecnes like those from Halo 2 anniversary
I understand that, but I don't think it's good use of resources, and I disagree with the idea of remastering on a philosophical level unless there is a practical reason it needs to be done (e.g., poor availability of the original, or loss of features such as online play in Halo 2 when the original Xbox servers closed). Remastering a game that is easily available on multiple platforms seems like the most blatant abuse of people's nostalgia to make a quick buck.
That would be good although 343 shoud give it the Resident Evil 2 Remake treatment after they're done with halo infinite.
A remake a number of years from now would seem more appropriate. You could get Blur cutscenes and a game built on the newest engine. I think Halo has received enough remasters. I see where a lot of people are coming from on the issues with CEA, but it is a fairly acceptable port/remaster to me. Would it have been better with the Xbox version? Definitely.
DR2D20 wrote:
That would be good although 343 shoud give it the Resident Evil 2 Remake treatment after they're done with halo infinite.
Just no. 343i need to stick to their roots instead of being a 'sell out' by making unfaithful remakes. Halo Infinite looks like it's going towards it's roots instead of rehashing the latest gimmick. Halo CE doesn't need any poorly designed remakes like Re2r. A remaster isn't needed either since Halo 1 is fine the way it is.
BIGB EC wrote:
I think the remaster trend needs to slow down or end so that new titles can be worked on and introduced. Seems like all we got this generation were new indie titles and refurbished triple a titles. Guess we can thank the internet for the industry as a whole for not wanting to take a risk on new IP's for the xbox one at least. Only reason I have played many remasters was to revisit achievements.
That's a good idea, but generally most old games are better, despite there being less for the devs to work with back then, they were better, there seemed to be less greed back then, not that new games are bad, but a lot of the big games devs like Activision don't put out he best games. A lot of smaller studios put out he Great stuff now, along with some good games from the big devs like rockstar and such.
Also I would really like for ce to get Halo 2 treatment in the remake, it looked better, but not like a modern game.
The problem with the logic of remastering a remaster is that it's an endless prospect. The Anniversary version of CE does look paultry and pathetic next to H2's- that's undeniable. In addition, with almost a decade of retrospect, I think it's fair to say that CEA's remastered overlay is pretty inconsistent in terms of quality and being "true" to the visual tone and aesthetics of the original game.

All that being said, by the time CE Anniversary was re-remastered, Halo 2 Anniversary would need it as well. Not to mention poor Halo 3, which never got (and arguably never really needed) the Anniversary treatment anyways.

343i needs to leave well enough alone on these Anniversary Editions.
Halo 3 looks great as a 360 game on Xbox One X as it is. The 4k uprez looks amazing and the in engine cutscenes look pretty good too. The MCC version isn't as good looking but it's going to be better on PC.

I used to want a Halo 3 Remastered but now I just want it on PC the community can do that work. Probably be nicer and more consistent.