Forums / Community / General Discussion

Sprint in an earlier Halo

OP Ultisaurus

If Sprint was added earlier, would it be Halo?

Poll Ends

Make Your Selection:

Some of you may know sprint was cut from Halo 2. But if it hadn't been cut and made it into the game and stayed in subsequent titles, would halo still be halo?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAwRp7Il4LY
^ Video of what was cut from halo 2, watch the segment with Dual SMG sprinting for a laugh.
Ultisaurus wrote:
Some of you may know sprint was cut from Halo 2. But if it hadn't been cut and made it into the game and stayed in subsequent titles, would halo still be halo?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAwRp7Il4LY
^ Video of what was cut from halo 2, watch the segment with Dual SMG sprinting for a laugh.
If Bungie could have made it work, then it probably have been such a talking point today, but playing on maps like Warlock, Lockout, Midship, etc. with sprint would have completely changed the game. Sprint could have worked on other maps like Terminal, Headlong, and Zanzibar, but it would reduce the importance of vehicles, which were assault and transport vehicles.

However, sprint was cut for many reasons. We know many of them, like it reduced the importance of vehicles on maps like the Ghost and Warthog for transporting players because sprint would allow you to make up 5-10 seconds to get across the map. Map control would play a less important part like on Lockout, Ivory Tower, etc. Sprint would unbalance weapons like the Sword and Shotgun. And many more.

Halo 2 also used to have a single shot BR when zoomed. I am glad that never happened either.
Some people eagerly went along with Halo 2.
Some expressed disdain for the changes but ultimately stuck with the franchise.
Others quit because the changes from Ce were too much to bear.

Had sprint been added to Halo 2 it might've been too much of a hurdle for people already upset at the other changes to jump over. Would Halo 2 have been as popular as a result?

If things unfolded largely the same way (i.e. Halo 2 exploded in popularity and Halo 3 was heavily inspired by Halo 2) then the people who stuck around probably would've considered it Halo. As Halo 2 is the game that, for better or worse, defines Halo's gameplay for most people, as it's the point where Halo really started getting popular and forming its identity. You rarely ever hear anyone say anything relevant to Halo Ce when they describe what Halo is.

But that's some alternate reality that has no bearing on modern issues. You might as well ruminate on what would've happened if Halo 2 ended up being another Medal of Honor game. The fact is in reality Halo 2 ended up the way it did, it formed a specific fanbase around that design and not a different fanbase under some other theoretical design, and now we're dealing with the consequences of these facts. It's pointless to ask "what if Halo 2 had sprint", the fact is Halo 2 didn't have sprint and now we have to live with that version of history and not some other version of history.
Ramir3z77 wrote:
Some people eagerly went along with Halo 2.
Some expressed disdain for the changes but ultimately stuck with the franchise.
Others quit because the changes from Ce were too much to bear.

Had sprint been added to Halo 2 it might've been too much of a hurdle for people already upset at the other changes to jump over. Would Halo 2 have been as popular as a result?

If things unfolded largely the same way (i.e. Halo 2 exploded in popularity and Halo 3 was heavily inspired by Halo 2) then the people who stuck around probably would've considered it Halo. As Halo 2 is the game that, for better or worse, defines Halo's gameplay for most people. You rarely ever hear anyone say anything relevant to Halo Ce when they describe what Halo is.
Yeah, I find that odd because I typically prefer using CE to define Halo. I really miss the weapons all doing different things. RIP Plasma stuns.
I don't think even adding sprint before Halo Reach or was added in Halo 2 wouldn't make it Halo.
Poll ends 2050?Wtf
Great question. Well if it was in earlier halo it would suck just like now. But would it be halo? Would halo be halo if CE was an RTS? The question is kind of weird. It would be what we consider halo today. But would todays halo be halo if they were RTS? I don't think it would be halo. But the thing that needs to be understood, is that at this point the halo universe belongs to more people than just the microsoft share-holders. Halo belongs to the millions of people who love it for what it is. So ask yourself this: If halo 5 was it's own game by like EA and not a halo game, would you buy it for what it is? I wouldn't and that's because I have hope that the next halo won't take out skill out of shooting(H2), good ranking system or net-code(H3), everything good it currently offers(H4) or like splitscreen. I have been buying these games out of hope. I have to wonder if hope is the only reason Halo is still around...
Great question. Well if it was in earlier halo it would suck just like now. But would it be halo? Would halo be halo if CE was an RTS? The question is kind of weird. It would be what we consider halo today. But would todays halo be halo if they were RTS? I don't think it would be halo. But the thing that needs to be understood, is that at this point the halo universe belongs to more people than just the microsoft share-holders. Halo belongs to the millions of people who love it for what it is. So ask yourself this: If halo 5 was it's own game by like EA and not a halo game, would you buy it for what it is? I wouldn't and that's because I have hope that the next halo won't take out skill out of shooting(H2), good ranking system or net-code(H3), everything good it currently offers(H4) or like splitscreen. I have been buying these games out of hope. I have to wonder if hope is the only reason Halo is still around...
Halo may have a special place in your heart but it doesn't belong to you or me.