I have noticed that matchmaking times have become longer and longer over the past few weeks. Indeed, there is a new MMR, but I can't help but see that there is so much competition. Destiny 2 is an obvious competitor, but we also have a call of duty game and battlefront coming out in about a month. Halo 5 is a great multiplayer shooter with a solid story. However, with no sequel even announced yet, do you think it has done enough to stay relevant? If not, what do you think 343 could do to keep Halo from suffering the same fate as Gears of War.
As an avid Halo fan the writing on the wall isn't good for Halo. With so many missteps in the series and no sequel or relevant content in site it definitely doesn't look good for the future of Halo at this time.
I am a Halo fan through and through. I have played Halo 5 into the ground. New games would come out, I'd play them, and always return to Halo 5. And then...Destiny 2 came into my life. The amount of stuff to do, the improved campaign over the first game, fun multiplayer, fun end game content...I know comparing the two games isn't exactly apples to apples, but damn....Halo is in trouble. There just isn't anything to be excited about when it comes to Halo right now.
The games is a few years old, it's not becoming relevant till a new game, especially vs new games.

whats this gears talk anyways? Gears is still a badass franchise that doesn't need to have high numbers to compete, it's perfectly fine being an actual niche game. Halo could learn something from it since it's not a flagship franchise anymore.
I don't think Halo has been relevant for a long time. 343 had their chance to bring Halo back with H4 and then they blew it. Then they had a chance to get some hype back with MCC and they screwed that up as well. I actually think Halo is gonna end up being one of those games now that's popular for a couple months only because it's a new game and then it will fall off the map.
Sadly, I feel that if 343 keeps doing things that anger some of their player base Halo is going to vanish forever. It started in H4 with gameplay complaints, MCC with online complaints, H5 with story complaints, even right now the pricing issues with the ATN expansion for HW2 is driving people nuts.
The games is a few years old, it's not becoming relevant till a new game, especially vs new games.

whats this gears talk anyways? Gears is still a badass franchise that doesn't need to have high numbers to compete, it's perfectly fine being an actual niche game. Halo could learn something from it since it's not a flagship franchise anymore.
The issue is that 343 is doesn't quite seem to get that Halo has lost that flagship title and they can do whatever they want and people will keep coming back.

I love Halo, it captured me years ago and I'll never stop loving it. But 343's constant mishandling of the game and the community has made it so those memories are the best that I'll have.
LethalQ wrote:
As an avid Halo fan the writing on the wall isn't good for Halo. With so many missteps in the series and no sequel or relevant content in site it definitely doesn't look good for the future of Halo at this time.
I agree with this. Halo is by far and away my favorite series of all time, but things looking bad. I'm very scared with MS greed in the exclusive games. Forza 7 sounds like the MT are taking over more than previous games, and Halo 6 will likely follow.

Exclusives need to give people a major reason to get and love a console. This ultimately leads to money from third party games like GTA 5 (people buy a game for the console they own).

MS is farming out cash grabs with its exclusive, and I honestly feel it will hurt the 'real' bottom line (Xbox division, not Halo revenue).
J Teeps wrote:
LethalQ wrote:
I agree with this. Halo is by far and away my favorite series of all time, but things looking bad. I'm very scared with MS greed in the exclusive games. Forza 7 sounds like the MT are taking over more than previous games, and Halo 6 will likely follow.

Exclusives need to give people a major reason to get and love a console. This ultimately leads to money from third party games like GTA 5 (people buy a game for the console they own).

MS is farming out cash grabs with its exclusive, and I honestly feel it will hurt the 'real' bottom line (Xbox division, not Halo revenue).
True. I bought an Xbox just because of Halo. Not to knock our Gears fan, but there just aren't many other games that are truly unique on Xbox now. That's why I am surprised the release of Halo 6 hasn't even been announced. Better yet, that we didn't get any campaign DLC to keep the lore mainstream. There were some multiplayer updates, but only a few original maps. This weapon tuning may have been a strategy to get people to come back, but I am not very optimistic.
J Teeps wrote:
LethalQ wrote:

True. I bought an Xbox just because of Halo. Not to knock our Gears fan, but there just aren't many other games that are truly unique on Xbox now. That's why I am surprised the release of Halo 6 hasn't even been announced. Better yet, that we didn't get any campaign DLC to keep the lore mainstream. There were some multiplayer updates, but only a few original maps. This weapon tuning may have been a strategy to get people to come back, but I am not very optimistic.
If Halo didn't exist on Xbox, I would be 99% Steam for gaming, and wouldn't own a console. I hope Halo 6 is great.
They have released Halo Wars 2 but as 343I promised that Halo 6 will not be a let down and apparently will be one of the best Halo games in the franchise so they haft to work hard to earn the respect of the new people beginning to play but apart from that I totally agree what will 343I do next? Also this same chat was in Bungie's Halo Reach forum and I believe it was about Halo 4 and how they were going to move the story along.
However, with no sequel even announced yet, do you think it has done enough to stay relevant? If not, what do you think 343 could do to keep Halo from suffering the same fate as Gears of War.
Relevant to who? Teenagers who hop from game to game, and play whatever new game is getting hyped up at the moment? I don't know how to keep Halo relevant for them, and that's a problem for Microsoft's marketing department, so I will leave it to them to find a solution. But Halo is still relevant to me, personally. Sometimes I take a break to play new single-player games but I still play Halo 5 all the time.

It's true 343 had plenty of mishaps, and not making those mistakes again will help them stay relevant for longer (Halo 6 had better be complete at launch, for instance), but I don't know what to suggest outside of obvious things like that.
The pessimism in this thread is teetering over the edges of unrealistic expectations. Guys, the game is nearly 2 years old. A game of that age isn't going to compete with the shiny "new" games of this year and last. Longevity in gaming, especially console gaming, just isn't a thing with the exception of hyper-competitive games that manage to grab the attention of the masses. Which, as I said, isn't console gaming. Think: League of Legends, StarCraft.

Because gaming exploded into the mainstream (hipster comments inbound), the gaming industry is forced to appease the lowest common denominator. This means instant gratification. Patience may be a virtue but it's also rare as hell. No one wants to take the time to become good at games anymore when games like Call of Duty exist that promises every dog has his day. Or Minecraft, where there is no competition. You just... do what you want to do. The exceptions to this, again, are our hyper-competitive juggernauts.

All of this results in the perfect storm for games like Halo. We have a high learning curve, which alienates new players. So 343 tried something new with Halo 4... a watered-down attempt of Halo. It didn't stick with the "casual" fanbase and served to alienate its core fans. Halo 5 tried hitching a ride in the hyper-competitive bus and it kind of stuck. HCS is surprisingly popular for a game that is only on one console.

Here's my theory: Halo 6 will be on PC. By dipping into new territory, Microsoft can expand their playerbase but still stick with their customers. Unfortunately, this means no Steam release (unless they want to get bold with it). Exactly what Halo Wars 2 did.

Whether you guys want to believe it or not, Halo still sells. They don't churn out books and products, games and DLC because it looks cool. Nah, it sells. And it probably will for quite some time. The fact of the matter is there are hundreds if not thousands of developers out there who would kill to have the popularity Halo has. When a new Halo game comes out (especially of the FPS variant) there is hype around it.

We aren't at our former glory of Halo 3, sure. You can attribute that to whatever you like but Halo is still big despite what the naysayers in this thread might want to say.

EDIT:

I also want to add that there are some legitimate and factual statements some have said here. Concerns over MCC and questionable decisions have set the Halo name back further than it needed to be.
The pessimism in this thread is teetering over the edges of unrealistic expectations. Guys, the game is nearly 2 years old. A game of that age isn't going to compete with the shiny "new" games of this year and last. Longevity in gaming, especially console gaming, just isn't a thing with the exception of hyper-competitive games that manage to grab the attention of the masses. Which, as I said, isn't console gaming. Think: League of Legends, StarCraft.

Because gaming exploded into the mainstream (hipster comments inbound), the gaming industry is forced to appease the lowest common denominator. This means instant gratification. Patience may be a virtue but it's also rare as hell. No one wants to take the time to become good at games anymore when games like Call of Duty exist that promises every dog has his day. Or Minecraft, where there is no competition. You just... do what you want to do. The exceptions to this, again, are our hyper-competitive juggernauts.

All of this results in the perfect storm for games like Halo. We have a high learning curve, which alienates new players. So 343 tried something new with Halo 4... a watered-down attempt of Halo. It didn't stick with the "casual" fanbase and served to alienate its core fans. Halo 5 tried hitching a ride in the hyper-competitive bus and it kind of stuck. HCS is surprisingly popular for a game that is only on one console.

Here's my theory: Halo 6 will be on PC. By dipping into new territory, Microsoft can expand their playerbase but still stick with their customers. Unfortunately, this means no Steam release (unless they want to get bold with it). Exactly what Halo Wars 2 did.

Whether you guys want to believe it or not, Halo still sells. They don't churn out books and products, games and DLC because it looks cool. Nah, it sells. And it probably will for quite some time. The fact of the matter is there are hundreds if not thousands of developers out there who would kill to have the popularity Halo has. When a new Halo game comes out (especially of the FPS variant) there is hype around it.

We aren't at our former glory of Halo 3, sure. You can attribute that to whatever you like but Halo is still big despite what the naysayers in this thread might want to say.
I would agree with the fact that Halo still sells. It has become one of the most iconic shooter franchises in history (not that the history is very long). But there is a difference between a franchise still selling and a game creating a lasting foundation. It will likely never be Halo 3 again, but gaming communities succeed when there aren't 5 minute wait times for mismatched games. Halo 6 will initially do fairly well, I have no doubt, but that isn't even on the horizon yet.
Most people I know IRL have been burned by Halo 4 and 5 and have a "show me, don't tell me" attitude toward Halo 6. I pretty much agree, but I still think Halo 6 needed to be at least announced this year. I love Halo so much I'll buy Halo 6 even if it sucks (I just might buy it used in that case) but it's kinda sliding down further into "relic of the past" status.

Will people still play Halo 5 until Halo 6 launches? Yeah. But will Halo 5 be relevant for much longer? I'd say that's pretty unlikely, especially with CoD returning (mostly) to it's roots, and Destiny 2 putting out fairly consistent DLC for the next year. Halo 5 is an old game now, and it wasn't getting a great rep when it was new, so I'm not holding my breath.
LUKEPOWA wrote:
I don't think Halo has been relevant for a long time. 343 had their chance to bring Halo back with H4 and then they blew it. Then they had a chance to get some hype back with MCC and they screwed that up as well. I actually think Halo is gonna end up being one of those games now that's popular for a couple months only because it's a new game and then it will fall off the map.
Agreed sad but true
Halo 6 needs to blow people away. I had high hopes for Halo 5. I was hoping Spartan Ops would have been included, but it wasn't... I was hoping that the audio logs that Keegan-Michael Key voiced would have been somehow implemented into Halo 5... It wasn't. There was so much hype for Halo 5. It was a flop.

Still the only console game I play, still the only reason I bought an Xbox, still the only reason I even play video games.... Was for Halo. Please make Halo 6 great.
A comparison to gears of war doesn't work. Gears 4 kept the essence of what a gears game should be and had a decent campaign. I think the destiny comparison should be the most relevant. If you take JUST the campaign of destiny 2 it feels like older halo titles . Older halo had size and scale , epic ness , exploration, wonderment and how everything feels alien but somehow familiar which for me destiny 2 got absolutely on the money. Just like halo ce that had all these sensations in abundance because of all the movie sci fi genre references ( the alien franchise especially ) for me this is where halo 5 quickly loses its relevance. Because instead of being an awesome campaign story with fantastic multiplayer it is all about multiplayer there is no insentive to play the campaign with friends chill have a laugh do stupid stuff and just have fun. Instead sweaty multiplayer all the time soon gets old. I know we have customer browser but that's not always that fun and seems at times just filled with clans acting like punks or octagons with a champion level player sitting in wait like a spider in its web hoping for a noob rank like myself to join so they can smash me endlessly into defeat allowing me only to taste the sweat dripping off their teabagging balls. Personally I think the relevance can be kept with changing the mechanics for certain playlists. Let me say at this junction I enjoy both spartan abilities and classic play style and I've been here since the ce days (15 / 16 at the time of release ) I think it's no accident or coincidence that the two most enjoyable relaxing chilled playlists are also the two that broke from the normal mechanics of halo 5 ........... rock & rail and halo 3 throwback. For me when these two playlists have been added it's given the game a completely new fresh feel . They both play extremely different from normal halo 5 . Allowing for random crazy stuff to happen which when with pals especially just has you laughing your head off and saying to yourself .... this is fun . Fun . Fun is what lacks sometimes when highly competitive tense sweaty matches are all we experience. I enjoy halo 5 I love trying to get better and I have alot but it's been a struggle a bloody nightmare sometimes heavy aim was unbearable if it was a game of any other name I would of played for a week then tossed in the bin. But I myself am competitive and I have enjoyed that grind but not all the time . In order to stay relevant bring back a decent campaign which looks feels and plays like halo ( hence destiny 2 comparison) and add a multiplayer which is competitive but also has a proper social aspect too filled with silly wacky game types that a group of friends can have a beer laugh and enjoy together without having to rage because a meellee or blank shot didn't register making you de rank , a playlist or game type that breaks from the norm messes with what you can do , rock and rail made me think of being in space because of the gravity effects reminding me too of some old halo 2 campaign misions when your outside the space station fighting jet packed elites . The halo 3 throw back gave me nostalgia and a different way of playing the game completely. Variety , variety of play styles , game types , spartan abilities and games to play be it campaign ,multiplayer ,ranked or social , solo or with fire teams, these two game types do in my opinion better than all the others they add variety and this is what keeps halo relevant.
Halo 2 , (lasted until they turned the servers off , from 2004 til 2010 , would probably still have a loyal player base if TMCC worked as promised and advertised) and Halo 3 released in 2007 and still has a loyal following across three separate titles on two different consoles. (I could also mention any GTA title , Red Dead , CoD titles , many of which have dedicated followings well after they are "dead"). Tell me again how longevity is not a console game thing? If you watch IGN or any other major game "journalist" , you are being influenced by their work cycle. Just because they have to rush through games and be done with them in a week , doesn't mean the average gamer has to.
I understand the desire to be part of "the conversation" that goes on when a new game comes out , but pick your battles (so to speak) and save your sanity and your wallet. I don't think expecting a game to last several years is an unrealistic expectation , (expecting the developer to support it the entire time.... is , however). Bungie beautifully built longevity into Halo 3 by creating forge ; and the community built maps and game types that would keep it going for years with out any developer input what so ever. I am not saying every game can be Halo 2 or 3 , but every game should aspire to be just as innovative and user friendly.
All this being said , I completely agree with the rest of your statement.