OP AlphaEx0

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 4
Quote:
Why is 343 promising to feature him more after the backlash if he isn't holding further settings back?
I'd argue that in this case he's pushing it forward if we're moving away from whatever the hell happened in Halo 5. The playerbase has already shown that it's willing to accept new characters, but when it comes to Osiris, apparently it's not willing to to accept bad characters in addition to that. So it's not surprising that 343 are using what works in Infinite as opposed to what doesn't. Master Chief being featured in Infinite solely comes down to 343's failing with Halo 5. When a well-established character comes along who has more depth than a wading pool and the community still rejects them, then yeah you have a point.
Quote:
As I said, reach worked cause it's a spin off and not a mainline game
Reach essentially was a part of the main series—it evolved from what was originally intended to be Halo 4 and focused on the same story arc as CE, 2 and 3. Unlike Wars and ODST, Reach was heavily marketed, similar to the original three games, and additionally its sales reflected those of the mainline games (actually, it sold more than CE and Halo 2). It's also worth pointing out that at the time it seemed like Reach was going to be the last Halo game, at least for some time; Bungie literally promoted Reach as their "swansong."

So, presented with the fact that there may not have been anymore Master Chief after Halo: Reach, the community still accepted Noble Team. So much so that 343 thought it a good idea to continue the squad concept in subsequent games. The same can't be said for Osiris.
Quote:
The attachment to chief is the issue here as even if there are compelling characters, people still aren't going to want to not play as chief.
Where's the precedent? Right now, everything points to the exact opposite.
Quote:
You mention games without him being successful, but I'd like to hear how so? Halo wars sells like crap when compared to the shooter side of Halo (one to two million), it sells fine when you compare it to other RTS console games but when matched vs the rest of the franchise it's not even close and shows most fans of the franchise don't even acknowledge it.
I mean, you said it yourself—Wars sells fine comparatively. Though I'm willing to bet that Wars' fewer sales can be attributed to the fact that it's an RTS, not because Master Chief isn't in it. You go on to argue that Reach sold well because it was an FPS, but maintain that Wars sold poorly because no Master Chief—so there's a clear double standard there. The obvious answer to me, is that Master Chief doesn't determine sales as much as the guarantee that used to come with name 'Halo' that you'd be getting a compelling story as well as arguably the best gameplay on the market.
Quote:
What about odst? Also marketed as a spin off but also had a crowd wanting to see the experience from an odst perspective
So in other words, people were interested in a character other than Master Chief.
Quote:
how would H2 have done without him entirely? Or Halo 5?
Well I'd imagine that Halo 2 would've done a whole lot better than Halo 5, because at bare minimum the inside look at the Covenant was still interesting.
Quote:
Both games came under criticism because of not featuring him and only him.
Yes, but one far more than the other. Not many people are willing to argue against the inclusion of the Arbiter today; I highly doubt that you're going to see the same sort of fondness for Osiris anytime soon.
Quote:
Why did they even get criticized for it? Because they're part of the mainline series wouldn't you agree?
No I wouldn't. The Arbiter missions were criticised because they were incredibly bland. In terms of story though, I don't recall any complaints over the deep dive into the Covenant. Osiris, on the other hand, was doomed to fail. For starters, Halo 5 was the first time that Blue Team had ever been featured in-game (something that people had been asking for forever), and instead of fleshing them out fully, 343 opted to unevenly split the narrative in favour Osiris who were boring—and frankly unlikable—by comparison. That's not a Master Chief issues; that's a new, requested addition to the games being diluted in favour of another.
Quote:
"People will stop buying" I mean people have already been doing that with the spin offs
Reach is the second-best selling game in the franchise.
Quote:
Furthermore it's not like the mainline series hasn't been dropping in sales anyways right?
Unfortunately, since 343 took over, yes. 3 being an outlier, the series was growing pretty steadily. To their credit, 4 sold well, but there was a massive drop-off on 5 for whatever reason.
Quote:
Is there anything to lose?
Yes, roughly five million physical sales as well as however many given digital sales—not to mention the seven million plus potential customers waiting in the wings.
Quote:
Sometimes destruction is in order to rebuild which I ultimately think is needed.
This's what that looks like right now: declining sales numbers and pissed off fans. They've effectively destroyed the foundation of the series and they've lost a significant portion of the userbase as a result. This's what needlessly destroying things looks like. Turns out people don't like it.
Quote:
If it costs more in sales in a franchise that I already think is falling off a cliff I have no issue with just dropping even more if it means a new setting with a new cast comes out of it
Again, that's what's happening right now. The fact of the matter is, 343 Halo doesn't have legs because the devs are seemingly incapable of developing characters who resonate with the audience. They know this, and It's the reason why they're falling back to what they know will work. It's not a matter of the community constantly asking for Master Chief regardless of the fact, it's a matter of 343 not being able to fill his shoes even if they want to replace him.
Quote:
So you're quite right people will not buy but that's already been proven with the games not featuring him 👍
Sure, if we're not counting the one game in the main series that explicitly didn't feature Master Chief and sold more than any of the other game barring one.
He retired his radio DJ gig in 2015. He has not retired from voice acting as of yet. But we do need to face the reality that Steve is an aging man. His retirement and eventual death is coming and 343 should wrap up the chief's story considering, as you indicated OP, that "his voice IS the Master Chief." However, replacing him is likely due to the fact that 343 is placing a much larger focus on chief for the upcoming games.
The man's only 67. Jesus Christ.
Precisely, not everyone will make it to that age and those that do will begin to face medical complications, or if he has any currently, will become more burdensome as time progresses. It is a simple fact of life.
67, not 87.
He retired his radio DJ gig in 2015. He has not retired from voice acting as of yet. But we do need to face the reality that Steve is an aging man. His retirement and eventual death is coming and 343 should wrap up the chief's story considering, as you indicated OP, that "his voice IS the Master Chief." However, replacing him is likely due to the fact that 343 is placing a much larger focus on chief for the upcoming games.
Precisely, not everyone will make it to that age and those that do will begin to face medical complications, or if he has any currently, will become more burdensome as time progresses. It is a simple fact of life.
67, not 87.
Voice acting isn't the same as acting, people can do voice acting for much longer since its not as demanding. Jame Earl Jones is 87 and still going strong with having voiced Vader in Rogue one and Rebels and reprising Mufasa in the live action Lion King.
67, not 87.
Missed the point buddy. I suggest reading.
And it's not a good one. Suggesting 343 should wrap it up with him based on something that is completely unknown and may not even happen for decades is ridiculous. For all we know, he could be around at 100 years old and still be in decent health for that age. If he did end up suddenly dying or unable to work anymore, I'm sure 343 will be able to deal with it appropriately. At the end of the day, Steve will know when it's time to retire, and I think it's safe to say that he'll give 343 plenty of advance warning with it.
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please refrain from making non-constructive posts.
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please refrain from making non-constructive posts.
Spoiler:
Show
Spoiler:
Show
LUKEPOWA wrote:
And it's not a good one. Suggesting 343 should wrap it up with him based on something that is completely unknown and may not even happen for decades is ridiculous. For all we know, he could be around at 100 years old and still be in decent health for that age. If he did end up suddenly dying or unable to work anymore, I'm sure 343 will be able to deal with it appropriately. At the end of the day, Steve will know when it's time to retire, and I think it's safe to say that he'll give 343 plenty of advance warning with it.
Perhaps. But I figure that if he is willing to retire from his radio gig then voice acting can't be too far down the road. Another concern related to that is a year or two ago there was a voice acting strike, if you will. Steve and Jennifer Hale (perhaps others related to Halo) stopped doing anything regarding voice acting until the voice actors demands were met. This strike, retirement from radio, and the fact he is aging leads the inevitability that he will retire from voice acting down the road. I agree on Steve being replaced should something happen to him as I indicated in my initial post in this thread. With the sudden refocus on the Chief and Halo being Microsoft's baby, I know he will be replaced should something happen in the near future.
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not flame or attack other members.
Spoiler:
Show
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please refrain from making posts that do not contribute to the topic at hand.
Spoiler:
Show
Spoiler:
Show
Spoiler:
Show
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not flame or attack other members.
Spoiler:
Show
Spoiler:
Show
Spoiler:
Show
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please refrain from making posts that do not contribute to the topic at hand.
Spoiler:
Show
Spoiler:
Show
Spoiler:
Show
Spoiler:
Show
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 4