Forums / Community / General Discussion

The Consequences of Outsourcing

OP CHRISPOCALYP5E

So since TMCC and 5 were outsourced to multiple companies, did that also mean some assets were sacrificed in the process? I'm curious...

Although Bungie sold the rights and assets of Halo to 343, throughout Destiny you can notice particular Halo assets that were used so was this due to Bungie being allowed to keep their own assets or did they do this discreetly?

Bungie aside, getting back to the main point of this post... Gears of War. Back when Ultimate Edition came out I found out that some multiplayer maps were using ambient SFX heard in Halo: Combat Evolved. Play CE and listen to the AOTCR/TB missions exterior areas; some Gears multiplayer maps have the exact same wind and snow SFX.

Aside from the little hidden SFX, two obvious SFX can be heard in Gears of War 4. One of them is the melee impact SFX. Hitting some plastic/metal objects in the game will create the same impact SFX like in Halo 2 when you melee generic UNSC and Industrial crates. The biggest obvious SFX in Gears of War 4 was the Pillar of Autumn's engine room alarm (the original CE alarm not the remarsted version) when the engines have gone critical. You can hear it when you board the ore transporter.

So... Is this infringement? 343 being sharing and caring? Or has Halo's assets been sold off for every and anyone to utilise in their games? Curious...

EDIT: Yes. Those are the exact SFX, that is why I asked this in the first place out of curiosity. And sound vendor? Interesting, I never knew about that one.
if they are infact the same SFX (doubt it) it would make sense that MS have an internal library of SFX available for its developers. chances are they just sound similar.

There's a limited amount you can do with the same materials. Destiny will not have halo assets, but the same original designers, so you'll see similarities.
It is quite possible they just purchased the SFX from the same SFX vendor or use an internal Microsoft Studios SFX library.
SepheusIX wrote:
It is quite possible they just purchased the SFX from the same SFX vendor or use an internal Microsoft Studios SFX library.
I'm glad someone said it. I had been wondering that for a while

There's a limited amount you can do with the same materials. Destiny will not have halo assets, but the same original designers, so you'll see similarities.
I remember seeing a couple Reach and Halo 3 assets in destiny, namely Reach's seastack rocks being used in the canyon on Venus where the landed Ketch is, as well as toolboxes and such from Halo 3. Generic enough, but definitely the same assets.