Skip to main content

Forums / Community / General Discussion

[Locked] The Magnum and the Halo Shotgun.

OP FuriousGhost64

All I want to know is why, 343? Why not include both the Magnum and the Halo Shotgun with the Sidekick and the Bulldog? Why? Why...
I think it’s due to the way the weapons function. In real life war you wouldn’t take a sub machine gun for a long range fight and a sniper for a close quarters engagement. What I’m trying to say is those weapons obviously work better in the environment set for Halo Infinite. Those weapons will be designed around the map etc purposefully so you explore more or makes the engagements with the Banished more immersive and unique rather than rinse and repeat from other games. I’m genuinely excited to play it. There are so many positives that came out of the campaign demo!
This might be an unpopular opinion around here, but I couldn't care less if the classic Halo pistol and shotgun aren't in Infinite. I remember the same discussions were being had around the time Halo 2 came out and everything turned out to be just fine once the game came out. I think when people are actually playing the game and using the weapons and they get a feel for them some may change their minds and come around. However, a part of me does understand the nostalgia factor that players have for the Halo pistol and shotty and maybe 343 will decide to add these weapons at a later date if the community is still asking for them.
To be honest I'm willing to let go of the magnum and shotty if it's replaced by something just as fun and fits the theme better, we haven't been able to play the demo, so how can we judge a replacement if we haven't even used it yet.
People said the same thing for Halo Reach and Halo 2, when they adjusted the sandbox. You'll get used to it.
I don't really see how having a pistol without a zoom option adds to an open world map design. Or how a shotgun that has a shorter barrel length shoot farther and with a tighter spread than it's previous counterpart. Also drum mags are pretty boring. Reloading with shells feels good and is more fun in my opinion. Plus BOTH pistol and shotgun have weaker rounds. Why? Are the aliens weaker now? Are the shiny robots not built from forerunner super metals? Will a 10mm round fly fast, farther and hit harder than an .50 HE?? Will a 12 gauge have a farther flight path with a closer spread and deal more damage than a freaking 8 gauge?? I'm okay with change, but make it one that makes since and doesn't disconnect me from the world you are building. That's why I am asking for why? Why the change? Does it make since to the world? This isn't about lore, this is about the game itself, the gameplay.
What I think how they will add it in the games like a DLC packs for story or just normal update
There is no need to be upset for it if they say it will be added it will be added, ok?
If not we always have the modders who can do this for us
I don't really see how having a pistol without a zoom option adds to an open world map design. Or how a shotgun that has a shorter barrel length shoot farther and with a tighter spread than it's previous counterpart. Also drum mags are pretty boring. Reloading with shells feels good and is more fun in my opinion. Plus BOTH pistol and shotgun have weaker rounds. Why? Are the aliens weaker now? Are the shiny robots not built from forerunner super metals? Will a 10mm round fly fast, farther and hit harder than an .50 HE?? Will a 12 gauge have a farther flight path with a closer spread and deal more damage than a freaking 8 gauge?? I'm okay with change, but make it one that makes since and doesn't disconnect me from the world you are building. That's why I am asking for why? Why the change? Does it make since to the world? This isn't about lore, this is about the game itself, the gameplay.
The drum mag I can understand for Halo's setting, it's 500 years in the future why are we still loading shells individually which is pretty inefficient as for the pistol it's probably so someone like a U.N.S.C. marine or non combat personal doesn't have a sore wrist after every firefight and can be accurate but 10mm doesn't make sense because 45. would be better. I'm not for sure if the new shotgun has switched to 12 gauge because I haven't seen anything saying it has. And if we are going by lethality for weapons why is our main rifle the MA variants (assault rifle) still using 7.62x39 a round in the halo universe that's over 600 years old and the way technology is progressing we should be using something better than basic projectiles, it's the 21st century and we already have rail guns on naval vessels. Also take a look at the Halo Reach magnum and remove the front top sight plating and it looks really close to the Infinite pistol, as for gameplay I'm waiting to actually try the shotgun and pistol to get my thoughts from actually using it and not from looking at it in a demo.
I think someone at 343 really messed up. We already went through this with the SPNKR. The guns could serve different purposes with the Sidekick being a weak pistol with no ADS and a quick fire rate, while the magnum returns closer to the CE magnum and is a heavier pistol. Then with the bulldog, have a drum fed semi auto shotgun that is a bit easier to handle with lower damage, and have the classic pump shotgun be the 1 shot. Basically just make the newer weapons have quick handling and fire rate with lowered damage, and then have the old weapons be closer to the insane heavy monsters from CE. No one is upset about the bulldog and sidekick being added, but to replace 2 iconic weapons with them is yet another step backwards. It feels like with Halo Infinite, 343 takes a step forward, then trips. We will have to wait for release but as of now, I am super dissapointed to see that they removed the classic shotun, twas my favorite weapon :(
I'd like to see all four guns in Halo: Infinite. You know, give it some variety.
Going to close this off in favor of the many topics we have about this in the Halo Infinite forums. Feel free to add your thoughts to any of the existing topics :)