5. 7
  6. 8
  7. 9
  8. ...
  9. 15
Justima wrote:
Justima wrote:
Quote:
No, I don't think the golden triangle is a good argument, and I'm saying that as a classic fan. There's been so many exceptions to the golden triangle in the original games alone, and as a description itself it's very open-ended and vague, it could fit several games that clearly aren't Halo. "Guns, grenades, melee." Give CSGO a melee button and suddenly it's Halo right? Melee was entirely situational in Halo Ce as well, definitely not some major part of the game.
If the golden triangle is broken, Halo is broken.
So halo was broken in halo 2, 3, reach, 4, and 5? Wow, halo really needs to fix itself. There have been 5 broken halo games, and only 2 regular ones. Man halo's in bad shape /s.
do you know how to properly use the golden triangle?
Um, yes, but I'm not really sure what you mean by that.
it was not broken in halo 2 and 3 imo. your thoughts?
Dual wielding. 'Nuff said.
Dual Wielding did not break the Golden Triangle, but it caused the problem that players used less melee and grenade due to its weapon drop when done these. Bungie acknowledged the problem and tuned down the usage of Duel Wielding by making your spawn primary weapon to Assault and Battle Rifle in Halo 3.
Dual wielding did not let you throw grenades or melee without dropping your second gun. So, that really did break the triangle. They made it less common, but it still existed, which means the triangle was still broken.
That is what I said. People didn't want to lose their second left weapon and the usage of melee and grenade decreased a lot. You could still throw grenade or punch by loosing it, which did not violate Golden Triangle. In Halo 5 you cannot do anything while ground pound, sprint, and thrust. At least Dual Wielding allowed you to do so, even though you end up loosing left weapon. The Golden Triangle means nothing should prevent player from using weapon, grenade and melee. Dual Wielding did not prevent player from doing it.
It did, you had to press the button to drop the gun, then you could throw the grenade. Melee.....you could use it instantly, but you still wouldn't be able to dual wield when meleeing.
Here's a video of Bungie devs talking about building the multiplayer experience in Halo 3: https://youtu.be/p7eOybnH0uA
Notice how they mention things like "the halo canon" and "the golden 3 things of halo" (5:10) which don't include sprint, armor abilities and all the other shenanigans 343 has been up to.

You want to know what Halo REALLY is and why most veterans think Halo 5 is non-sense, here you go.

New-age fanboys will hate.
Bungie isn't the "horse" anymore guy 343 is, bungie abandoned halo to go make a terrible game flooded with content you need to pay for in order to play the game in its entirety. Guess what? That game has sprint and SUPERS! damn mystical space wizards that can shoot lighthing from their hands that can wipe an entire team! Yet you cry about sprint and thrust in h5? What do you think halo would've become if bungie stayed in control? Chief shooting void powers from his -Yoink-, that's what.
Quote:
No, I don't think the golden triangle is a good argument, and I'm saying that as a classic fan. There's been so many exceptions to the golden triangle in the original games alone, and as a description itself it's very open-ended and vague, it could fit several games that clearly aren't Halo. "Guns, grenades, melee." Give CSGO a melee button and suddenly it's Halo right? Melee was entirely situational in Halo Ce as well, definitely not some major part of the game.
So halo was broken in halo 2, 3, reach, 4, and 5? Wow, halo really needs to fix itself. There have been 5 broken halo games, and only 2 regular ones. Man halo's in bad shape /s.
That is exactly why early halo games are favored so much, because maybe 343 thinks dual wielding is all it is too. The golden triangle is much more than just dual wielding.
It the golden triangle is broken by dual wielding. You can't throw a grenade or melee while dual wielding, so it breaks the triangle.

Just to let everyone know, I'm going to bed, so don't wait up for a reply.
there is more secrets to the sacred golden triangle but i guess we can discuss later
Wait, Triangle? Secrets?
Spoiler:
Show

glad to see you drop back in. here some more goodies to discuss.

I have experienced and understand the concepts of Bungie's invention of the Golden Triangle; my understanding is not through your typical internet research but from the good old fashion way, "actually playing all the halos".
My interpretation may be different from yours so please, feel free to share your opinions.
Remember "3" is the magic number. 3 weapon options (magnum,BR,DMR) 3 range options (close,mid,long), 3 tools of destruction (melee,gun,grenade); think of "Rock Paper Scissors":
1) At close range, your magnum is highly effective on the offense with only "3" shots to the head followed by a single melee attack or vice-versa= instant kill
2) At mid range, 3 quick burst with Battle Riffle then grenade= instant kill
3) At long range, DMR's are simply deadly with 3 well placed shots to the head alone= instant kill

that my friend is your golden triangle...

Other weapons such as Snipers, rocket launchers, dual wielding, covenant/promeatean/brute weapons, and shotguns are considered "power weapons" I don't really classify these weapons as part of the Golden triangle because it would be a privilege and advantage to have these weapons during standard combat. However, what actually breaks the golden triangle is special spartan abilities. Reach started with Armor Lock (close range) shields (mid range) and hologram (to trick the sniper at long range), this provided Noob enabling counter-measures so that can avoid the wrath of legendary players who were highly skilled at using the Golden triangle method. later in halo years we get golden triangle breaking abilities such as spartan charge and evade. Some people in this new generation think the Golden Triangle is only simply melee,gun and grenade or "dual wielding", because maybe they saw a video that gave only a brief description? But I'm happy to inform you that it goes a little further down the rabbit hole.
Zr0Fear v2 wrote:
Zr0Fear v2 wrote:
Zr0Fear v2 wrote:
Halo is defined by its fans, if it has none, there is no Halo.
No it's defined by the developer.
No, it's not.
Yah it is. The developers dictate what it is, not the fans. They can say; " halo should be this" or "halo shouldn't be this," but they don't define what halo is.
So if 343 literally put a digital model of human -Yoink- on a disk and tell you it's Halo, that makes it Halo? No.

We decide what's Halo. They are making the game for us, so it doesn't matter what they say is Halo, it matters what we say. Until they start handing it out for free then what we say goes.

We told them Halo 4 was not Halo. Their response? "Well damn, we should probably switch it up" because even 343 is smart enough to know what I told you.
They could actually do that and call it halo. Of course, then halo would be dead and everyone would have to find new jobs. We don't decide what halo is. We can influence them, but we don't decide. What is halo to you? I can almost guarantee it will be different from mine. So if the community dictates what halo is, which of our ideas is halo?
They could and they would be wrong. That's my point.
The developers define what it is with each game. They make one game that defines it. The community makes hundreds of thousands of ideas that define what halo is, but they're not right. We can define what it means to us. I think that is where you're confused. We can say what halo means to us, but the devs define what it is.
Snockooz wrote:
And yet they made reach which added sprint and armor abilities... Also, New-age Fanboys? I've been playing since Halo CE and I really doubt that you ever even played Halo CE PC online. But I guess if I like Halo 5 I must be a new-age fan boy...
I think this was the stepping stone to Destiny, the game Bungie's heart was in as it fulfilled the Halo contract with MS.
Quote:
That is exactly why early halo games are favored so much, because maybe 343 thinks dual wielding is all it is too. The golden triangle is much more than just dual wielding.
It the golden triangle is broken by dual wielding. You can't throw a grenade or melee while dual wielding, so it breaks the triangle.

there is more secrets to the sacred golden triangle but i guess we can discuss later
Wait, Triangle? Secrets?
Spoiler:
Show

I have experienced and understand the concepts of Bungie's invention of the Golden Triangle; my understanding is not through your typical internet research but from the good old fashion way, "actually playing all the halos".
My interpretation may be different from yours so please, feel free to share your opinions.
Remember "3" is the magic number. 3 weapon options (magnum,BR,DMR) 3 range options (close,mid,long), 3 tools of destruction (melee,gun,grenade); think of "Rock Paper Scissors":
1) At close range, your magnum is highly effective on the offense with only "3" shots to the head followed by a single melee attack or vice-versa= instant kill
3) At long range, DMR's are simply deadly with 3 well placed shots to the head alone= instant kill
Other weapons such as Snipers, rocket launchers, dual wielding, covenant/promeatean/brute weapons, and shotguns are considered "power weapons" I don't really classify these weapons as part of the Golden triangle because it would be a privilege and advantage to have these weapons during standard combat. However, what actually breaks the golden triangle is special spartan abilities. Reach started with Armor Lock, this provided Noob enabling counter-measures so that can avoid the wrath of legendary players who were highly skilled at using the Golden triangle method. later in halo years we get golden triangle breaking abilities such as spartan charge and evade. Some people in this new generation think the Golden Triangle is only simply melee,gun and grenade, because maybe they saw a video that gave only a brief description? But I'm happy to inform you that it goes a little further down the rabbit hole.
I only think the triangle applies to only the guns/grenade/melee. The 3 weapons you mentioned weren't even in the same game until halo 4, and you forgot about the AR and SMG. I also don't really think of it short/mid/long range, because every shooter game has that, it's not exclusive to halo.

Dual wielding isn't a power weapon. It's an ability and it breaks the triangle. Spartan abilities do somewhat break the triangle, but to me, the triangle never had to be used at all times. You could argue that Spartan charge and ground pound are melee attacks. Sprint, slide, clamber, and thrust don't let you use the triangle while its activated, but do we really need it to be active at all times? These things just enhance the game (IMO). If halo 2/3 didn't have to make the triangle useable at all times, then halo 5 shouldn't either.
Zr0Fear v2 wrote:
Zr0Fear v2 wrote:
Zr0Fear v2 wrote:
No, it's not.
Yah it is. The developers dictate what it is, not the fans. They can say; " halo should be this" or "halo shouldn't be this," but they don't define what halo is.
So if 343 literally put a digital model of human -Yoink- on a disk and tell you it's Halo, that makes it Halo? No.
We decide what's Halo. They are making the game for us, so it doesn't matter what they say is Halo, it matters what we say. Until they start handing it out for free then what we say goes.
We told them Halo 4 was not Halo. Their response? "Well damn, we should probably switch it up" because even 343 is smart enough to know what I told you.
They could actually do that and call it halo. Of course, then halo would be dead and everyone would have to find new jobs. We don't decide what halo is. We can influence them, but we don't decide. What is halo to you? I can almost guarantee it will be different from mine. So if the community dictates what halo is, which of our ideas is halo?
The developers define what it is with each game. They make one game that defines it. The community makes hundreds of thousands of ideas that define what halo is, but they're not right. We can define what it means to us. I think that is where you're confused. We can say what halo means to us, but the devs define what it is.
I know what you're saying. I'm just saying that you're wrong. A digital model of -Yoink- is not Halo even if they say it is. I do think it's laughable though that you're suggesting that it would be if they said so.

You speak about them defining Halo, but even in the real world definitions aren't set by whoevers writing the dictionary. The definitions of words you find in a dictionary are based of how people use those words. In other words, the writer of a words definition can't just write down whatever they want, they must go by how people use the word. The writer doesn't determine a words definition, the people do and the writers look to the people use of it to get the answers. The same applies with Halo.
Ramir3z77 wrote:
Hrrmm. Well, being able to mention other users is new to me. After years this place is finally getting the same functions as Beyond...maybe in a few more it will get the same culture...

Anyways, I might think the triangle is nonsense but it doesn't mean I disagree with his underlying views.
Do not worry, I found it and edited it into my post.
A real Halo veteran would be able to recall what Bungie thought of their golden triangle with their next game launch, and also recall the mental gymnastics needed to explain "Halo canon" in the story of that launch as well.

Anyway, they later admitted the golden triangle wasn't a hard-and-fast design philosophy ("15 seconds of fun" was always used as a key design philosophy more anyway). I just...oh boy. If you're dumb enough to think, "Only newb plebs like 343's Halo," then you should spend less time playing Halo and more time figuring out how to use your brain productively.
I wouldn't just blame 343 for the franchises' problems. Bungie began to build a game similar to halo 4 and 5 toward the end of their work on halo in halo reach. I think the franchise is continuing to be under the pressure of competition in the video game industry. They're trying to find a stay fresh and new in halo 5 and hopefully they can balance the old and new gameplay with halo 6.
Zr0Fear v2 wrote:
Zr0Fear v2 wrote:
Zr0Fear v2 wrote:
Zr0Fear v2 wrote:
No, it's not.

I know what you're saying. I'm just saying that you're wrong. A digital model of -Yoink- is not Halo even if they say it is. I do think it's laughable though that you're suggesting that it would be if they said so.

You speak about them defining Halo, but even in the real world definitions aren't set by whoevers writing the dictionary. The definitions of words you find in a dictionary are based of how people use those words. In other words, the writer of a words definition can't just write down whatever they want, they must go by how people use the word. The writer doesn't determine a words definitions, the people do and the writers look to the people to get the answers. The same applies with Halo.
Like most analogies, this one doesn't work. The ones who come up with the word decide what is means, in this case, it's the developer. The job of the dictionary people is to put it all together.
Quote:

Wait, Triangle? Secrets?
Spoiler:
Show

Other weapons such as Snipers, rocket launchers, dual wielding, covenant/promeatean/brute weapons, and shotguns are considered "power weapons" I don't really classify these weapons as part of the Golden triangle because it would be a privilege and advantage to have these weapons during standard combat. However, what actually breaks the golden triangle is special spartan abilities. Reach started with Armor Lock, this provided Noob enabling counter-measures so that can avoid the wrath of legendary players who were highly skilled at using the Golden triangle method. later in halo years we get golden triangle breaking abilities such as spartan charge and evade. Some people in this new generation think the Golden Triangle is only simply melee,gun and grenade, because maybe they saw a video that gave only a brief description? But I'm happy to inform you that it goes a little further down the rabbit hole.
I only think the triangle applies to only the guns/grenade/melee. The 3 weapons you mentioned weren't even in the same game until halo 4, and you forgot about the AR and SMG. I also don't really think of it short/mid/long range, because every shooter game has that, it's not exclusive to halo.

Dual wielding isn't a power weapon. It's an ability and it breaks the triangle. Spartan abilities do somewhat break the triangle, but to me, the triangle never had to be used at all times. You could argue that Spartan charge and ground pound are melee attacks. Sprint, slide, clamber, and thrust don't let you use the triangle while its activated, but do we really need it to be active at all times? These things just enhance the game (IMO). If halo 2/3 didn't have to make the triangle useable at all times, then halo 5 shouldn't either.
Can you better elaborate on how Halo 2/3 didn't make the triangle available at all times? ( I don't quite buy into the idea that dual wielding breaks the triangle, as your ability to shoot is never taken away from you.)

And just to add my opinion, yes, Halo is better when the Golden Triangle is available at all times.
slvr cobra wrote:
Aaand Reach received much less positive feedback than Halo 3.
Never said liking Halo 5 is impossible for veterans. I've been onboard since CE and yes I've even played it on PC. Still I think Halo 5 is a decent game for what it's trying to be.

I just don't see it as a true Halo game and if you don't understand that then yeah you're probably new around here.
Considering Bungie considered Reach to be a "true Halo game"...
It was more of a Halo game than 5, that's for damn sure. I love how all anybody does to counteract his argument is talk -Yoink- about Reach.

Without giving any examples to boot.
I also talked about Dual Wielding in Halo 2 & 3, because that worked so well.

If you need examples for Reach, Sprint, Jetpack, Armor Lock, DMR Bloom
Dual wielding in Halo 2 and 3 works pretty well for me and I continue to play those games today. I don't touch 4 and 5.
J Teeps wrote:
Snockooz wrote:
And yet they made reach which added sprint and armor abilities... Also, New-age Fanboys? I've been playing since Halo CE and I really doubt that you ever even played Halo CE PC online. But I guess if I like Halo 5 I must be a new-age fan boy...
I think this was the stepping stone to Destiny, the game Bungie's heart was in as it fulfilled the Halo contract with MS.
I actually enjoyed reach, It did kill the triangle but I must say I really had fun abusing the armor lock "I'm guilty". I used the armor lock mode so they can throw grenades and bounce off and commit suicide to themselves, I abused the hologram to trick those campers to spoil their position, I abused the shields to protect from heavy fire and set up in a good vantage point.

But halo5 has no advanced spartan ability counter-measures and no Golden triangle. I tried the three hots to the head melee method and it did not work as planned in halo 5, it seems halo 5 helmets are made of tuff teflon; also they gave thrusters and the spartan charge to avoid this legendary tactic.
Snockooz wrote:
So true, I´ve played all Halo games and I like all of them, armor abilities or not.
A real Halo veteran would be able to recall what Bungie thought of their golden triangle with their next game launch, and also recall the mental gymnastics needed to explain "Halo canon" in the story of that launch as well.

Anyway, they later admitted the golden triangle wasn't a hard-and-fast design philosophy ("15 seconds of fun" was always used as a key design philosophy more anyway). I just...oh boy. If you're dumb enough to think, "Only newb plebs like 343's Halo," then you should spend less time playing Halo and more time figuring out how to use your brain productively.
I'll just be leaving this here.
slvr cobra wrote:
Never said liking Halo 5 is impossible for veterans. I've been onboard since CE and yes I've even played it on PC. Still I think Halo 5 is a decent game for what it's trying to be.

I just don't see it as a true Halo game and if you don't understand that then yeah you're probably new around here.
It was more of a Halo game than 5, that's for damn sure. I love how all anybody does to counteract his argument is talk -Yoink- about Reach.

Dual wielding in Halo 2 and 3 works pretty well for me and I continue to play those games today. I don't touch 4 and 5.
Dual Wielding was either too powerful for those weapons to have two of (Needlers, Noob Combo), or were normal damage, making an individual gun next to useless (SMG, Spiker). It's a complete sandbox nightmare.

I can have one Needler and be okay, and if I pick up two I'd be amazing. I would never have a reason to pick up a Spiker. Even if I was told that Dual Wielding made it better, that means I have to stick with the equivalent of a paintball gun until I can find two of them, and then I can defend myself, with the cost of never being able to throw a grenade.

I could just find and stick to the Battle Rifle (in H3) and dominate most Dual Wield combos anyway.
Quote:

Wait, Triangle? Secrets?
Spoiler:
Show

Can you better elaborate on how Halo 2/3 didn't make the triangle available at all times? ( I don't quite buy into the idea that dual wielding breaks the triangle, as your ability to shoot is never taken away from you.)

And just to add my opinion, yes, Halo is better when the Golden Triangle is available at all times.
The triangle is guns, grenade, melee. While dual wielding, you couldn't melee or throw grenades, which broke the triangle.

I'll just be leaving this here.
Damn, you really got me there. That's quite the response you provided. Mind, blown.
slvr cobra wrote:

Dual Wielding was either too powerful for those weapons to have two of (Needlers, Noob Combo), or were normal damage, making an individual gun next to useless (SMG, Spiker). It's a complete sandbox nightmare.

I can have one Needler and be okay, and if I pick up two I'd be amazing. I would never have a reason to pick up a Spiker. Even if I was told that Dual Wielding made it better, that means I have to stick with the equivalent of a paintball gun until I can find two of them, and then I can defend myself, with the cost of never being able to throw a grenade.

I could just find and stick to the Battle Rifle (in H3) and dominate most Dual Wield combos anyway.
One gun, two guns, no guns, I don't have much trouble. Even single wielding an SMG in Halo 2 I'd get kills on dual wielders and battle rifle users by sneaking up on them, burst firing from a distance or using a grenade then finish with a few SMG bursts.

All of these weapons kill regardless of whether I dual wield them or not, I just have to adjust my tactics slightly based on what I'm carrying.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 5
  4. 6
  5. 7
  6. 8
  7. 9
  8. ...
  9. 15