Forums / Community / General Discussion

Thoughts on Equipment?

OP MutantBubbaboy

Now with Halo 3 in the minds a lot of people right now, how would you feel about the return of Equipment?

Equipment are the single use items such as Bubble Shields and Grav Lifts. They added an extra layer of gameplay that didn't realize I missed so much until now.

Give me your thoughts, I'm interested in how you guys feel about it.
Yea, I would love to see the return of these. But with all the people on here that hate abilities and equipment I don't think anyone would care. But yea, I'd love to see it.
I miss using equipment, especially the Halo 3 flare.

Such a great way to annoy friends and enemies. Good times!
Idk I do like them but I feel more could be done with them rather than just bringing them back.

What I mean is because they're kinda large they should be destructible as well as a pickup. Like removing auto pickup for them for this to work.

Basically using the drainer one, when you pick it up you can use it like normal, creating a field that drains shields and EMPs vehicles. But if you destroy one before its pickup and activated it releases a short range pulse that instantly depletes shields and EMPs vehicles. That kinda thing.

Radar Jammer
Activated-Causes numerous red dots to appear on players motion trackers when in range
Destroyed-releases a pulse that highlights everyone in range for a couple seconds

Flare blinds everyone instantly for a moment when destroyed, basically no different than when used normally, just shorter duration but increased range.
Activated-Blinds those near to it, the closer you are the less you can see
Destroyed-Blinds everyone looking in its general direction within __meter radius to it

Re-generator
Activated-Continually causes shields to begin recharging within its Area of effect
Destroyed-releases a pulse that causes everyones shield to instantly fully regen

Gravity Lift
Activated-Creates a new means of elevation
Destroyed-pushes everyone near it away, the closer you are the further you fly

Deployable cover
Activated-creates a one-way shield that non-plasma projectiles can go through
destroyed-does nothing

Bubble shield
Activated-creates a sphere that blocks all damage both ways, players and vehicles can pass through
Destroyed-Similar but much, much less hexagons in the shield

Trips mines no different
I miss using equipment, especially the Halo 3 flare.

Such a great way to annoy friends and enemies. Good times!
I loved the flare!!
Yea, I would love to see the return of these. But with all the people on here that hate abilities and equipment I don't think anyone would care. But yea, I'd love to see it.
I'd prefer equipment more so than abilities, at least they're one time uses.
I wouldn't mind if equipment were in specific playlists such as BTB. My favorite thing was to set the trip mines on the flag stand in BTB.
The Equipment and AA are cool to have and I wish they would make a return but only in Warzone and Custom Games. Having them in Arena would piss people off like before. But in Warzone on the next Halo game it would be sweet as long as you have to earn it like in Halo Reach with the Armor Effects. Which took forever to unlock but it was so worth in the end.
Well Equipment acts as a one time use pickup. Most players probably won't care if more pickups are added.

Plus if they are that big of a problem, they can be easily removed.
I remember the Halo: Reach Armour abilities worked better imo, because it was a specific loadout that catered to your needs but didn't last forever. It was cool. I mostly forgot to use Equipment in Halo 3, except the bubble shield, because that was useful as hell on Legendary.
I do actually think that equipments was pretty interesting in Halo 3 as you could use them to plan ahead for future combats to make them much easier which added an extra layer of strategy to the Campaign. Here are few situations I have seen equipments get used. The equipment may not be required but helpful.
  • Crow's Nest
    • Deployable Cover: Block Plasma Cannons the second time you enter the Hammer Chieftain room. You can even block all the grunt spawns and maybe even the Beam Rifle Jackal spawns.
  • Tsavo Highway
    • Gravity Lift: Use Vehicles in the defense section before the first Wraith.
  • The Ark
    • Gravity Lift: Getting the skull.
that's the one thing from halo 3 that I've been hoping for a return.
JackLively wrote:
I remember the Halo: Reach Armour abilities worked better imo, because it was a specific loadout that catered to your needs but didn't last forever. It was cool. I mostly forgot to use Equipment in Halo 3, except the bubble shield, because that was useful as hell on Legendary.
I like AAs personally, but given the immense hatred for them by most of the Halo community, I think Equipment is more likely to return.
I like equipment, I think with some experimentation they could prove interesting in a modern Halo game (or modern FPS in general). I don’t see the exact equipment from Halo 3 returning though. That seems unlikely as exact mechanics rarely return in the Halo games.

I also feel AA are more likely to return given the popularity of class and hero based games right now, the return of loadout AA could create a more team focused game while still retaining the core balance and arena combat that not even Quake has managed to keep in its reboot.
Considering how beloved equipment was to the halo multiplayer community, I never understood why Bungie removed them in Halo Reach in place of Armor Abilities nor why 343 didn't chose to bring them back in future titles.
Considering how beloved equipment was to the halo multiplayer community, I never understood why Bungie removed them in Halo Reach in place of Armor Abilities nor why 343 didn't chose to bring them back in future titles.
Pretty sure Armour abilities were supposed to be the upgrade. So instead of a one time use thing, you get a multiple use on a cooldown thing, which is better in a lot of ways.

343 DID bring them back for Halo 4, but I honestly don't remember them being that helpful, and I often forgot about them. In Halo 5, your Spartan is much more capable than ever before, and I think they were going with more of a traditional 'back to basics' where it's all inherent abilities, rather than using gadgets.

Imo it worked. I really like the new Spartan abliities, i.e. sprint, boost, ground pound, spartan charge... Everyone moans about them but honestly I think they really do make combat more fluid and unpredictable. They're not always one hit kills, and they are easily countered but can pack a punch if pulled off successfully. It encourages players to seek high ground, or use cover more effectively.

Boost has saved my life on countless occasions, as has Sprint. Of course there's knowing when not to use the abilities, too. Just because an enemy if below you doesn't mean you should GP him. He could just as easily bip you out of the air as you charge your ability.

Spartan charges can be dodged and leave the attacker open to a flanking attack momentarily. And of course if you just sprint around the entire map you're bound to literally run into danger.

I think they could throw Equipment back in the mix, however I don't think at the moment it's necessary.
I really liked the equipment from Halo 3! I was thought they were interesting and fun to use! My favorite would probably have to be the bubble shield just of how cool it was.
Yes! I remember pick ups being so fun!
I like all of the equipment from Halo 3 to back bk and be usable in Forge,social,custom games(excluding ranked maybe)
Hey guys. Good news! The halo 3 Style Flare equipment item is back in Halo, thanks to me being really good at scripting and refusing to give up when the going got tough!

Check out the videos below and the link to the Forge Pre-Fab required to make this work. Any questions, please see me over at Forgehub.com

Into video: (by yours truly)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4zaZjSs9E8

Spotlight Video: (By Ascend_Hyperion)
https://youtu.be/QymHnrNNOSg

Link to pre-fab page on Forgehub.com
https://www.forgehub.com/maps/flare-deployable-equipment.5728/