Forums / Community / General Discussion

Tournament Prize Pool

OP J4H

Is it possible to run a community funded prize pool that has the user purchase some sort of in-game digital content such as skins, labels or badges for a small fee and have a desired percentage go towards the prizepool. With a tier system implemented so that if the user wants they can spend more money to acquire more digital items and in return boost the prizepool. If a user wants to buy a $10 minimum amount they can do so. A player could also put down $1000 if they desire. All of this would be done in hopes to create a larger prizepool so players have more to play for. Dota has a great model for this as they were able to generate $88,000,000 and 25% went towards the prizepool. I know their community is much bigger but even a 50,000-100,000 boost from the halo community would create big events for the halo players. The original sponsor can front 25-100k and let the community do the rest. I don’t see what there is to lose in trying this out. It can be hard for some players to justify going across the world or country for a small pool tournament that gets divided into next to what you paid to get there. I know it’s not all about the money, but money does generate more interest and hopefully better results.

let me know your thoughts on this.
I think you'd want to look into "Tournament Organizer" in HCS Grassroots.
I posted in the HCS section. Don’t know if I can remove this post.