Forums / Community / General Discussion

UNSC Marines need to be badasses

OP NarrowBaker132

I believe that the if the UNSC Marines where more badass then it'll make Spartans look more OP, this came into mind when I saw a few vids that compared the Master Chief and other video game heroes like the Doomslayer. Many of the videos claimed that Spartans (including the Master Chief) struggle against 1 enemy while the Doomslayer legit cannot die cause hes just too OP. I really wish Spartans were seen as these super soldiers that rarely struggle against any enemy but sadly that's not the case I mean look at Spartan Thorn that dude got his -Yoink- handed to him in hand to hand combat by a low ranking elite. That type of stuff disappoints me, Why do you guys think?
I believe that the if the UNSC Marines where more badass then it'll make Spartans look more OP, this came into mind when I saw a few vids that compared the Master Chief and other video game heroes like the Doomslayer. Many of the videos claimed that Spartans (including the Master Chief) struggle against 1 enemy while the Doomslayer legit cannot die cause hes just too OP. I really wish Spartans were seen as these super soldiers that rarely struggle against any enemy but sadly that's not the case I mean look at Spartan Thorn that dude got his -Yoink- handed to him in hand to hand combat by a low ranking elite. That type of stuff disappoints me, Why do you guys think?
I understand what you are saying, it is for the lore, but in game, if you play on easy, you can be op as poop. Yet on legendary, have a grunt own you like it's nothing. We have that going for us! About the Marines though, I think them dying so easy, does make Chief more op, because you charge the beach in CE, everyone around you dies, you're the only one left, leaving you feel like Samuel Jackson's wallet in Pulp Fiction (assuming it's your first charge, and you aren't trying to save them anyways)....
I liked to be surrounded by marines and ODSTs. They do add that friendly element to the game. I always want to save them as possible, but they somehow die. If they are badass somewhat stronger like Sgt. Johnson, then you only find yourself in a easy mode.
You're using Thorn as an example? He is a spartan 4, the most washed out of the spartan series. A spartan 2 on the other hand would be another story.
While yes I adgree tue marines could help a bit more it wont help the Spartans except to realy look weaker. You are also using Thorne who is a sparten yes but a 4 who where notably worse than the 3s who went as good as the 2s. If you use for say noble six who was a hyper lethal than people like him and chief where seen basically taking in a entire army. It realy just depends on who you use. At least for the games chiefe wasn't beaten much at all. It wasn't anything for him take multiple elites. Halo wars 2 or 1 I cant remember where the 3 Spartans take on the entire bridge of elites.
You're using Thorn as an example? He is a spartan 4, the most washed out of the spartan series. A spartan 2 on the other hand would be another story.
And yet he's more of a Spartan than the rest of his fireteam. HECK he's even more of a Spartan than most if not all Spartan IVs.

Also not to mention how Black Team died.. I mean sure it was the Didact they were fighting but you'd think after maybe seeing that the Didact means business they wouldn't retreat? kinda like Red Team retreating from Atriox in Halo Wars 2

Don't get me wrong I love Spartans they are imo the coolest space marines in the world but scenes like those are just disappointing.
You thought Gek the 2nd in Command of Jul M'Dama's Covenant was low ranking? Even with all the dogtags of dead Marines, Spartans, and ODST on his neck?
You thought Gek the 2nd in Command of Jul M'Dama's Covenant was low ranking? Even with all the dogtags of dead Marines, Spartans, and ODST on his neck?
That was Gek? lol tbh I thought that was some rando and but I believe Thorn should of destroyed him in seconds but that didn't happen. :(
well I think that's just the story lore of it all. I think I remember hearing a long time ago that the devs said that heroic is the story based difficultyy of how it works
well I think that's just the story lore of it all. I think I remember hearing a long time ago that the devs said that heroic is the story based difficultyy of how it works
I remember hearing that too, I don't remember were exactly but yeah, Heroic difficulty is the "lore difficulty"
That was Gek? lol tbh I thought that was some rando and but I believe Thorn should of destroyed him in seconds but that didn't happen. :(
Yeah the Elite with no Helmet that was about to smash the rock over Thorne's head was Gek. They even say "some of these tags belong to Spartans." Gek sadly is more important in the side stories. I wish we could have saw how he escaped Midnight Facility.
I think the Spartan 4's in spartan ops were pansies and I didn't like that but spartan 2/3's are badass and there are some capable Spartan 4's as we've seen with Osiris for the most part.

It's kinda unfair to compare capabilities between Doom Slayer and Chief in my opinion, they're from two very different worlds, Halo being the drastically more realistic world, as far as the protagonists go. Doom is just about dumb fun and carnage, he's by no means even a slightly realistic character whereas I think Chief and spartans in general are far more grounded. I like both, I just think it's a bad comparison in this context.
I think the Spartan 4's in spartan ops were pansies and I didn't like that but spartan 2/3's are badass and there are some capable Spartan 4's as we've seen with Osiris for the most part.

It's kinda unfair to compare capabilities between Doom Slayer and Chief in my opinion, they're from two very different worlds, Halo being the drastically more realistic world, as far as the protagonists go. Doom is just about dumb fun and carnage, he's by no means even a slightly realistic character whereas I think Chief and spartans in general are far more grounded. I like both, I just think it's a bad comparison in this context.
TRUE you're right about the Doomslayer and Chief comparison, tbh I used it because I saw a few vids talking about who would win in a fight. In the end you are right about Spartans being more realistic and Doom being more about having fun dismembering demons.
Yeah the Elite with no Helmet that was about to smash the rock over Thorne's head was Gek. They even say "some of these tags belong to Spartans." Gek sadly is more important in the side stories. I wish we could have saw how he escaped Midnight Facility.
Yeah there was a lot of potential for Gek and Jul Mdama sadly they were killed off.
Yeah, comparing doomslayer and Chief is like a Space Marine from 40K vs Chief, Halo is quite turned down. The UNSC Marines get wrecked quite often as Elites are biologically stronger, faster and have powered armour. Alongside being a warrior culture, to make a Marine on par with them would actually make Chief and other Spartans seem irrelevant TBH if Marines can do it all on their own.

Also, Gek and Jul' were indeed wasted potential, Jul should've been a main protagonist for a lot longer. Could've done a lot more with the story and have a number of arcs with him and the AI uprising in Halo 5
Yeah, comparing doomslayer and Chief is like a Space Marine from 40K vs Chief, Halo is quite turned down. The UNSC Marines get wrecked quite often as Elites are biologically stronger, faster and have powered armour. Alongside being a warrior culture, to make a Marine on par with them would actually make Chief and other Spartans seem irrelevant TBH if Marines can do it all on their own.

Also, Gek and Jul' were indeed wasted potential, Jul should've been a main protagonist for a lot longer. Could've done a lot more with the story and have a number of arcs with him and the AI uprising in Halo 5
I honestly think Jul should have died in the middle of Infinite, in a boss fight. If they were gonna kill him in 5, kill him in Sunaion during a boss battle.
I don't think they should be bad@$$ per say, but rather just a bit stronger. Because in their current state they are basically walking ammo reserves.

I would've loved to see Jul fight the Arby in a Energy Sword duel, sadly we won't be getting that..