Forums / Community / General Discussion

Video games filming in one-shot

OP TanEugene94

With the God of War 2018 video game using the cameras to film in one-shot, is it possible that we could see this happened to other video game franchises like Halo, Assassin Creed, Metal Gear Solid, Ghost Recon and Splinter Cell especially where you can follow the story, the characters and the gameplay in one long shot without cutting any scenes? Do you see that happened?
We probably will as we go into the next generation of consoles, Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare did something similar before GoW by hiding the loading sections behind cutscenes, so the transition between levels felt pretty smooth.
It would be cool, but I’m not sure if it would work with Halo since Halo campaigns cover multiple locations. You go from planet to ship to ring to alien ship. I don’t know how interesting one could make each transition without having it feel drawn out. Did God of War cover multiple locations? If so, then perhaps it could work with Halo.
tuhin94 wrote:
It would be cool, but I’m not sure if it would work with Halo since Halo campaigns cover multiple locations. You go from planet to ship to ring to alien ship. I don’t know how interesting one could make each transition without having it feel drawn out. Did God of War cover multiple locations? If so, then perhaps it could work with Halo.
I am very curious to see what will the gameplay look like in the upcoming Halo Infinite. I still think that we are going to see like 20 or 30 missions in Halo Infinite especially if the entire game are being filmed in one-shot.
Well Half-Life games were already one-shots (the stutters while loading new map sections were due to technical restraints, Valves intentions were to make it seamless, and so was the map design), and arguably purer than GoW since the player is in control almost all the time. Since future Halos are likely to remain as FPSs, if Halo tries to do one-shots then I bet Half-Life's style will be the way to go.

Seeing what next-gen hardwares and game engines are up to, I think it's perfectly possible to one-shot even across large spaces (for example riding a Pelican from a planet's surface to space station). However aside from the challenge to prevent such transition procedures from boring the players, an inevitable loss of a one-shot Halo will be the background perspectives. Like, if Infinity's recalling Chief (who's on the ground) in an emergency, traditionally it would be done by switching from Chief's camera to cutscenes depicting the matter (say, a Promethean invasion), then a cutscene showing Chief hop on a Banshee and scrambling off for Infinity, then a cutscene showing Chief crash-landing into Infinity's hangar, then a blackscreen leading to Chief's camera (player perspective) again for gameplay. But if you do this in one-shot, then the invasion can only be shown via radio calls instead of visuals, which loses that urgency, and the flight to Infinity will be pretty hard to design, because it'll stress you out if too long, and will be too funny and unrealistic if too short. And whatever you do, there will simply be no way to show what's going on behind the scenes with Created/UNSC/Banished etc. In fact you can't show anything where Chief isn't present.

Given the already released footages of Infinite, I think it will definitely have cutscenes like previous Halos. However I do believe future entries can be done in one-shot, though it will be a true test of 343i's art and writing capabilites.
Well Half-Life games were already one-shots (the stutters while loading new map sections were due to technical restraints, Valves intentions were to make it seamless, and so was the map design), and arguably purer than GoW since the player is in control almost all the time. Since future Halos are likely to remain as FPSs, if Halo tries to do one-shots then I bet Half-Life's style will be the way to go.

Seeing what next-gen hardwares and game engines are up to, I think it's perfectly possible to one-shot even across large spaces (for example riding a Pelican from a planet's surface to space station). However aside from the challenge to prevent such transition procedures from boring the players, an inevitable loss of a one-shot Halo will be the background perspectives. Like, if Infinity's recalling Chief (who's on the ground) in an emergency, traditionally it would be done by switching from Chief's camera to cutscenes depicting the matter (say, a Promethean invasion), then a cutscene showing Chief hop on a Banshee and scrambling off for Infinity, then a cutscene showing Chief crash-landing into Infinity's hangar, then a blackscreen leading to Chief's camera (player perspective) again for gameplay. But if you do this in one-shot, then the invasion can only be shown via radio calls instead of visuals, which loses that urgency, and the flight to Infinity will be pretty hard to design, because it'll stress you out if too long, and will be too funny and unrealistic if too short. And whatever you do, there will simply be no way to show what's going on behind the scenes with Created/UNSC/Banished etc. In fact you can't show anything where Chief isn't present.

Given the already released footages of Infinite, I think it will definitely have cutscenes like previous Halos. However I do believe future entries can be done in one-shot, though it will be a true test of 343i's art and writing capabilites.
I am hoping that 343 Industries will do something like that in the Halo video games. I really want to see what a Halo video game will look like in one-shot. It will be cool to see the new Halo ODST video game being filmed in one-shot.
I am hoping that 343 Industries will do something like that in the Halo video games. I really want to see what a Halo video game will look like in one-shot. It will be cool to see the new Halo ODST video game being filmed in one-shot.
Gosh YEAH! Almost forgot ODST! That sort of noir film atmosphere might be quite fit for one-shot.
Oh, I can see it happening, and I hope we're not entering a period in game making where part of triple-A developers suddenly forget why we cut.
tsassi wrote:
Oh, I can see it happening, and I hope we're not entering a period in game making where part of triple-A developers suddenly forget why we cut.
Agree.

I personally like the style in Reach: the place where they put the cameras and the places where they cut. More natural than the titles before, but not THAT hollywood like 4 and 5, it kinda mix the style of Landfall and some ducumentaries, which I really enjoyed.

Also, the way Reach deals with gameplay and cutscene is very good: cutscene usually ends with first person view, like cod iw and mw(but I personally prefer iw & Reach more than mw, cauz mw gave a feeling like "they do one-shot beacause they want to do shot"), I would like to see this kind of cutscene in HI.

But after all, so far, the one-shot in Discover Hope is good, if they're going to add a lot of one-shots into HI I hope these would all have high quality like the one we see in E3 2019.
Pridak a wrote:
tsassi wrote:
Agree.

I personally like the style in Reach: the place where they put the cameras and the places where they cut. More natural than the titles before, but not THAT hollywood like 4 and 5, it kinda mix the style of Landfall and some ducumentaries, which I really enjoyed.

Also, the way Reach deals with gameplay and cutscene is very good: cutscene usually ends with first person view, like cod iw and mw(but I personally prefer iw & Reach more than mw, cauz mw gave a feeling like "they do one-shot beacause they want to do shot"), I would like to see this kind of cutscene in HI.

But after all, so far, the one-shot in Discover Hope is good, if they're going to add a lot of one-shots into HI I hope these would all have high quality like the one we see in E3 2019.
Reach has easily the best cinematography in the franchise. The camera placement isn't just a gimmick, but motivates some of the creative camera angles, and the stationary placement of the cameras makes the pacing appear slower which fits the tone of the game. Still the game largely relies on usual floating/camera-man style placement, and doesn't danger contrived camera angles for sake of a gimmick. It shows the strength of traditional cinematography, and why you might not want to lean on one gimmick.