Forums / Community / General Discussion

What could have been a great chapter...

OP REYSSTEREO

Happy New Year to you guys btw! Its 4am rn, and I cant sleep. It is highly unlikely a story dev would see this, or anyone for that matter. I just wanted to remind 343 about an obvious-honest mistake they made; that till now seems to be ignored by them. While re-watching Halo 4's cutscenes, and the Spartan Ops epesodes; I told myself damn... The story was really good! Spartan Ops made everything a lot more better; fleshing out characters like Palmer, like how we should see her as. (A hot headed Bad -Yoink- chick).

Well, I'm gonna jump straight to it. I beleive 343 had a "panic"attack and sabotaged their story. They thought everything about Halo 4 was complete dog -Yoink- after the gigantic backlash against Multiplayer!! They added Loadouts for crying out loud! The majority of the backlash is about how they are treating MP! The story was heart fealt among the audience! People wanted the next Halo Game to come out for they were attached one way or another! People were upset that Cortana died! It's completely normal for an audience to want their favorite character to come back. But it does not mean you should bring them back. Atleast wait a couple games 343!

They resulted to retconing the whole entire plot. Ignoring the librarian and the obvious "Dues Ex Machina" for the didact. The lore that happened during Spartan Ops is now gone. Sarrah Palmer was atleast getting more "likable" to the audience. And new characters such as Fireteam Majestic!; Thorne!!!!

Instead of improving apon the story they just ignore it in a really stupid way. Cheif was finally getting more character development. But that -Yoink- is gone now. And now everybody hates Cortana, wanting her dead; instead of missing her! Those tears of sorrow were now turned into hatred. Her death is now literally meaningless. And Thorne is way more cooler and likable than Locke!

The only real thing the story was missing was the sense of "Mystery" the old games had!! That and multiplayer was the main complaint of the community from what I accurately remember. But their calls fell off because of too much backlash they forgot what the good parts are. Great Characters and Plot are now benched on the comics.. Smh! INSTEAD OF MAKING THE EXISTING CHARACTERS MORE INTERESTING AND LIKABLE, THEY GIVE YOU ANOTHER SET OF CHRACTERS WITH THE SAME AGENDA!

I just wish someone from 343 would read this. It's just too obvious how the Plot changed. In a bad way. Halo 4 was a great halo game... 5 could have been a good one. I just hope that you tap into these characters again... Thorne could easily be the next mascot if he had enough build up and story. He is such a likable Spartan 4!
Overall I enjoyed H4's campaign. Going into H5 I didn't know what to expect multiplayer wise but I figured at least the campaign would be good, I should not have assumed that, might've felt less disappointed lol
Yeah, I agree. The characters were already good and they just needed a bit more time and resources given to them to flesh them out a bit more. In my mind, they were disliked because of the mediocre writing (and gameplay) in the first half of the SpOps season. Then they came right back with a new set of characters, but these guys were given a terrible narrative lead.

Thankfully, it looks like 343i is giving both time and a new narrative lead to Infinite, so things are looking good on that front. Regardless of whether we get the same old set characters or yet another new batch, I have confidence that they will do them justice.
Halo 5 WAS a good game! Locke is a great character, don't understand the hate at all towards him. I don't like mp very much, never have, but the abilities you have now are the same things that have been in the books from the beginning. Spartans are super soldiers, they have always had these abilities, just not in game. The extended universe is now being actually put into the game and not everyone sees this as good thing unfortunately. I get that people don't follow the stuff outside the game like i do but the abilities you have now in mp should have been something you'd have expected from the start, regardless of whether or not you follow the extended universe or not, they just make sense. As far as the whole Cortana thing goes, i have my own theory regarding that. I am not bothered at all by how she comes across in H5. I don't suddenly hate her now, shes still a great character and has a role yet to play. I excited to see where the writers take it from here. I'm even more anxious to see whether or not my theory plays out though!!
tuhin94 wrote:
Yeah, I agree. The characters were already good and they just needed a bit more time and resources given to them to flesh them out a bit more. In my mind, they were disliked because of the mediocre writing (and gameplay) in the first half of the SpOps season. Then they came right back with a new set of characters, but these guys were given a terrible narrative lead.

Thankfully, it looks like 343i is giving both time and a new narrative lead to Infinite, so things are looking good on that front. Regardless of whether we get the same old set characters or yet another new batch, I have confidence that they will do them justice.
They abandoned the whole Libririan saga and killed Didact off in the comics. That is true the new chracters on Spartan Ops had terrible writting. They had so little time to put narrative for each character in 5 min an episode.

But It feels like those characters are way more interesting and fun than Osiris.. Spartan Vale??! All I really remember from her is that she is thick. All the character build up they had was from CORTANA mocking them, reading their backround.
Lordthrash wrote:
Halo 5 WAS a good game! Locke is a great character, don't understand the hate at all towards him. I don't like mp very much, never have, but the abilities you have now are the same things that have been in the books from the beginning. Spartans are super soldiers, they have always had these abilities, just not in game. The extended universe is now being actually put into the game and not everyone sees this as good thing unfortunately. I get that people don't follow the stuff outside the game like i do but the abilities you have now in mp should have been something you'd have expected from the start, regardless of whether or not you follow the extended universe or not, they just make sense. As far as the whole Cortana thing goes, i have my own theory regarding that. I am not bothered at all by how she comes across in H5. I don't suddenly hate her now, shes still a great character and has a role yet to play. I excited to see where the writers take it from here. I'm even more anxious to see whether or not my theory plays out though!!
We are talking about Halo 4's MP. It had loadouts! Halo 4 was a game if the year nominee! Its story was great but with some flaws. We are talking about the obvious change in story direction. 343 was mislead that their game was overall trash. When most of the backlash back in 2013 was the multiplayer and sometime the art style! They didnt fix the art style, and made the story bad. Rather than expanding in an already interesting story.
I think we will find out what happened with the development of the Halo 5 story in time. I think something caused major rewrites mid-development.
J Teeps wrote:
I think we will find out what happened with the development of the Halo 5 story in time. I think something caused major rewrites mid-development.
Yes, and actually the story the Advertisement was telling was not gonna be that bad. You could tell Locke had lines that almost contradict his "purpose" in the story.
"Your not the only one here because of him"
Referring to Cheif inspiring him to become a spartan. But then that's that, they never expand apon that topic. Then next thing you know he sent an assassination request fo arby back then. Stilm trying to promote somewhat of what they ought him to be in the ads.

"You are a hunter yes, a seeker of things?"
"That's not the official job title, but that's close enough"
Yet he sounded like he was still gonna get his -Yoink- kicked. He sounded way better than this uninteresting f*** Locke is. There was an obvious change in direction. Microsoft as asswipe they could be is not this dumb. I beleive that when fans were angry at Locke because he was hunting down cheif. They pussed out again, and changed the story so there was minimal hunting! And made him more likable by taking away important part of his arch; and that's hunting cheif! Which made him very boring.
J Teeps wrote:
I have this feeling as well. I believe that it could have been something much more fleshed out, but unfortunately, it didn't turn out that way. Here's hoping that infinite will rekindle the storyline that Halo is known for.
Well we can all hope that infinite will be a great game both story and multiplayer wise
Lordthrash wrote:
Spartans have never ground pounded or hovered in non zero g environments for no reason.Also smart link isnt a thing in the novels,traditional zoom was always mentioned.And what makes Locke a great character exactly?