Forums / Community / General Discussion

What I think about Blur Studios

OP WrongGlobe

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
When Halo 5 came out I thought it looked a little cartoony, I got used to it after a while, but when Halo wars 2 was announced to have its cutscenes done by Blur Studios I was wondering yes I can watch them like a movie like I did with the original Halo wars. Halo 2 cutscenes were so damn good, and now Halo wars 2 is out, I cannot believe my eyes. Way to go 343i keep it up. Lovin It
Now all we need is Blur Studios to make a Halo movie!
Haha, I'll take a strong pass on a Blur Halo movie. I'd prefer a Live Action one as opposed to something like Final Fantasy got.

However, Blur's cutscenes (HW, H2A, HW2) have always been a cut above the rest. They're gorgeous. Unfortunately, we got less than half an hour of them in Halo Wars 2.
The Blur cutscenes in Halo Wars 2 were pretty nice indeed. Though I hate the scene when Jerome first gets on the Enduring Conviction with all the blackouted parts. I don't know how everyone else feels but my group and I think it sucks and ruins the scene in general. I know what they were trying to do with the scene, I just think it was horribly executed.
I have yet so see the cutscenes in Halo Wars 2, but I have seen their work on H2A, and I'm really happy with those ones. Can't wait to watch them for myself.
The Blur cutscenes in Halo Wars 2 were pretty nice indeed. Though I hate the scene when Jerome first gets on the Enduring Conviction with all the blackouted parts. I don't know how everyone else feels but my group and I think it sucks and ruins the scene in general. I know what they were trying to do with the scene, I just think it was horribly executed.
I thought the cuts throughout that scene were annoying. Would've been better if it was just a smooth action scene of 092 killing things.
I wouldn't mind a movie by Blur Studios, Cutscenes are amazing, although was disappointed that there wasn't many in HW2
Haha, I'll take a strong pass on a Blur Halo movie. I'd prefer a Live Action one as opposed to something like Final Fantasy got.

However, Blur's cutscenes (HW, H2A, HW2) have always been a cut above the rest. They're gorgeous. Unfortunately, we got less than half an hour of them in Halo Wars 2.
Odd, I'm completely opposite on that. I'm not a fan at all on how previous Live Action Halo content has been done. It's been very corny and amateurish, and the costumes barely fit the actors, such as in Forward unto Dawn.

I mean, I'm not a fan of some of the weirdness going on with Miranda's face, or how Anders in HW2 lacks a jawline/neck connection, but overall, I enjoy when games stay in the 3D/CGI graphics territory between all content, and I think the high res detailed visuals in a CGI just makes the whole thing pop. I guess for me it's just more visually impressive because everything had to be created from the ground up.

However, if they could make a Halo movie that looked as BA and professional as something like Aliens, I'd be up for that.
Lady Owl wrote:

Odd, I'm completely opposite on that. I'm not a fan at all on how previous Live Action Halo content has been done. It's been very corny and amateurish, and the costumes barely fit the actors, such as in Forward unto Dawn.

I mean, I'm not a fan of some of the weirdness going on with Miranda's face, or how Anders in HW2 lacks a jawline/neck connection, but overall, I enjoy when games stay in the 3D/CGI graphics territory between all content, and I think the high res detailed visuals in a CGI just makes the whole thing pop. I guess for me it's just more visually impressive because everything had to be created from the ground up.

However, if they could make a Halo movie that looked as BA and professional as something like Aliens, I'd be up for that.
I'd also say that the budgets of Nightfall and FUD were pretty small. I think the budget of FUD was $10 million (Nightfall's was even smaller and obviously worse), which for kind of a one off isn't very big. Multiply that by 20 and then we're finally talking about something real.

As hokey as the live-action productions were, they were still better than Legends or Fall of Reach. Animation shouldn't really be the answer, no matter how good it looks. Give me Denzel as Sgt Johnson and Clooney as Captain Keyes any day instead.
I feel like i'm the only one who disliked what blur did on H2A. :\
well, even i preferred the original H2 scenes to the H2A ones. I think the 343i should go with the blur making the scenes for now. Seems to me like the best choice right now. It has its own style that is theatrical and many other things but one of the most important thing is that it still respects the original artstyle while adding bit of its own touch that makes it look its own.
WrongGlobe wrote:
When Halo 5 came out I thought it looked a little cartoony, I got used to it after a while, but when Halo wars 2 was announced to have its cutscenes done by Blur Studios I was wondering yes I can watch them like a movie like I did with the original Halo wars. Halo 2 cutscenes were so damn good, and now Halo wars 2 is out, I cannot believe my eyes. Way to go 343i keep it up. Lovin It
Now all we need is Blur Studios to make a Halo movie!
A blur Halo movie would be EPIC.
Agreed i didn't like how flashy it was.

I am pretty sure the reason they didn't do that much Blur cinematics were either budget or trying to change paste by doing the Act one Act 2 and Act 3 thing instead of cinematic, mission complete, cinematic.
I didn't think I'd see the day where people are saying Halo Wars is less Cartoony than a main Halo title.
I didn't think I'd see the day where people are saying Halo Wars is less Cartoony than a main Halo title.
Only the cutscenes, but if you look the CG cut scenes from Halo 5 (Osiris opening, The Breaking, and the final cut scene) they look very good and not cartoony.
Lady Owl wrote:

I'd also say that the budgets of Nightfall and FUD were pretty small. I think the budget of FUD was $10 million (Nightfall's was even smaller and obviously worse), which for kind of a one off isn't very big. Multiply that by 20 and then we're finally talking about something real.

As hokey as the live-action productions were, they were still better than Legends or Fall of Reach. Animation shouldn't really be the answer, no matter how good it looks. Give me Denzel as Sgt Johnson and Clooney as Captain Keyes any day instead.
That's just it. Why does M$/343 hype up the Live Action stuff so much but never put enough into it? I guess if some people enjoyed them than it's not a total loss but it can't be worth it financially to keep making these things at such low budgets when most people are probably unhappy/dislike it overall.

Oh no, I'm not a fan of Legends myself. I mean I did like a couple things here and there, but overall, it was a big disappointment. I feel the animators took too many artistic liberties and shoehorned their Japanese culture into too many things that it felt awkward.

I shamefully have still not watched the Fall of Reach despite preordering the CE statue version of Halo 5 and having it since it launched, but I did hear bad things about it and some of the clips and screenshots I saw, I can completely agree with you on that.

I'm a bit iffy about who they'd cast for a proper Halo movie or Live Action sequence. I'm already not a big fan with the choices they've made for mocap/face capture in H2A and HW2. Not that they were necessarily bad, more so that a lot of the characters (aside from Johnson), looked drastically different from their in game models. I really prefer consistency so it's very jarring and breaks immersion for me to see character's change so much into entirely new faces/voices between games/content. Aside from that, I'm sure with Halo being around as long as it has, that everyone has formed a unique opinion on who they think would best suit each character and there would be a lot of disagreement I'd imagine.
Lady Owl wrote:
Lady Owl wrote:

That's just it. Why does M$/343 hype up the Live Action stuff so much but never put enough into it? I guess if some people enjoyed them than it's not a total loss but it can't be worth it financially to keep making these things at such low budgets when most people are probably unhappy/dislike it overall.

Oh no, I'm not a fan of Legends myself. I mean I did like a couple things here and there, but overall, it was a big disappointment. I feel the animators took too many artistic liberties and shoehorned their Japanese culture into too many things that it felt awkward.

I shamefully have still not watched the Fall of Reach despite preordering the CE statue version of Halo 5 and having it since it launched, but I did hear bad things about it and some of the clips and screenshots I saw, I can completely agree with you on that.

I'm a bit iffy about who they'd cast for a proper Halo movie or Live Action sequence. I'm already not a big fan with the choices they've made for mocap/face capture in H2A and HW2. Not that they were necessarily bad, more so that a lot of the characters (aside from Johnson), looked drastically different from their in game models. I really prefer consistency so it's very jarring and breaks immersion for me to see character's change so much into entirely new faces/voices between games/content. Aside from that, I'm sure with Halo being around as long as it has, that everyone has formed a unique opinion on who they think would best suit each character and there would be a lot of disagreement I'd imagine.
I understand the hype train behind it, but that doesn't mean the follow-through is executed very well. I liked FUD for the most part, but if anything that left me wanting more that they could have put into it, or put into something else. Nightfall was just a misfire overall.

Agree and disagree with the motion capture. Characters (Miranda, Anders, Cutter) did all look (and sound) drastically different from H2 -> H2A and from HW1 -> HW2, but I feel like improving outweighs consistency a little bit, especially when each installment is made 11 years and then 8 years apart from each other, especially with technological changes. I definitely do want the best of both worlds (consistency and improvement), but I'm not really sure how realistic that is.

It might honestly be best to never fully do a Halo movie. It's such a beloved but also controversial franchise, that not only will they never satisfy the fanbase, but they won't be able to satisfy critics and the box office all at the same time. Maybe 10 years after the franchise is dead and buried, and us original gamers have to dust off our games to show our teenage kids (or hell, maybe even grandkids) to show them what it's all based on, will the time finally be right.
A little off topic , but also kind of relevant. I remember when the promo material actually got you excited to explore another corner of the Universe. Blur does great work , especially in game. However , Bungie made great live action promo pieces. Deliver Hope , Landfall , We are O.D.S.T. , Arms Race , Birth of a Spartan , and the Memorial to Mombasa were all great shorts.
In Arms Race (maybe Landfall ; they came out together and can't remember which is which), some of the O.D.S.T. armor looks a little ill fitted , but when you are losing guys in the field left and right , sometimes newer guys have to wear equipment that isn't exactly "made to measurements". They have to take what they can get in bad situations.
Lady Owl wrote:

Nightfall had about the same budget as FUD though - 10M USD. A decent fraction of it probably went towards constructing that 1:1 metal replica of the Condor...
...Speaking of which, whatever happened to it after filming?
SC Matt 7 wrote:
Lady Owl wrote:

Nightfall had about the same budget as FUD though - 10M USD. A decent fraction of it probably went towards constructing that 1:1 metal replica of the Condor...
...Speaking of which, whatever happened to it after filming?
That's really sad if they had the same budget. FUD has its own wikipedia article - Nightfall has about a paragraph in the main "Halo" article haha. Not to mention quality of production even.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2