Skip to main content

Forums / Community / General Discussion

[Locked] What is your opinion on "Mercinaries" in Halo

OP TheGuruGnu

As someone who likes to do raids and play in a clan I have come across people who are self proclaimed "mercs" and I have my own thoughts about them but I was curious what other people thought about them.
I have no idea what you are talking about, but I'm going to presume that a 'Merc' is a solo player who joins other larger groups of players as a teammate.
And also, what is this raid you speak of? Is it in another game?

I think that 'mercs' are understandable but don't serve much purpose in Halo. I mean, Warzone is a casual game mode and Arena is four player, you don't need an extra in any of those situations. I personally would much rather play with people I know over gathering a merc to help.
If merc's are small little groups of banded together solo players not in a proper clan, then I have no problem with them. Also mercenaries are like hired hitmen aren't they.What point is there in Halo for them. If everyone is a hitman/ woman?
That's practically what I am in infection. some solo guy who plays with pretty much anybody that will team.
Or maybe that 'mercenaries' who help a company to get the Achilles armor set?
Just loners who can't get in a clan.
Nobody quite gets them.
So I'll try to explain.

Merc groups are edgy folk that wear armor from Reach and usually go in Open Raids together. Which, when they follow the rules, can be quite fun.

Anyone that's been in the customs browser once will know what they are.
Kanosus wrote:
Well that's rather rude.

I don't really care if mercs are in Halo or not.
meh I find Jackals rather annoying...
Spoiler:
Show
The amount of people here who don't know the first thing about clans is a pleasing thing to me. Its good to be reminded that there's actually more to the fandom than them...
Also honestly? I could care less. Most of the ones I've come up against or crossed paths with talk tough, but put em into a game and they crumble. Its a facade, really. Like most clan stuff. Talk tough, take things too seriously, waste energy.
To know the Lore is to know Halo
"Dont be spoiled, dont start a fight. Always be careful, here at night. Because the Spartans might come, in suits that weigh half a ton. And they'll steal from you all you gots, just like they did from Colonel Watts."
Kanosus wrote:
Well that's rather rude.

I don't really care if mercs are in Halo or not.
I don't either, I was just joking!
The amount of people here who don't know the first thing about clans is a pleasing thing to me.
I don't know what a clan is. But I think I have an idea. They're the ones who make it near impossible for me to win on Warzone, right? Grrrr. Curse clan members and all their clans.
(--_-- )
I've considered becoming a merk, but eh, it ain't worth the time to learn the names and leaders of clans. Not like my connection would hold up either. Nice to spectate raids and stuff here and there though.

What really sucks though is I feel that the clan community has been cast aside from what it used to be. Back in Reach clans used to be everywhere, if you saw a team in your game, you knew -Yoink- was about to go down. But now it's kinda eh.
Also honestly? I could care less. Most of the ones I've come up against or crossed paths with talk tough, but put em into a game and they crumble. Its a facade, really. Like most clan stuff. Talk tough, take things too seriously, waste energy.
trueeee that. Before when I was in a clan, I'd backtalk and they'd take a shot at me, they'd miss, I'd show them whats up with my pistol, I'd get the boot. Good times, good times.
Profesnol wrote:
trueeee that. Before when I was in a clan, I'd backtalk and they'd take a shot at me, they'd miss, I'd show them whats up with my pistol, I'd get the boot. Good times, good times.
Hehe. Got the boot for being better than those with more power too, huh? Glad to see it wasn't just me.

The amount of people here who don't know the first thing about clans is a pleasing thing to me.
I don't know what a clan is. But I think I have an idea. They're the ones who make it near impossible for me to win on Warzone, right? Grrrr. Curse clan members and all their clans.
(--_-- )
To a certain extent. Though sometimes its just Spartan Companies. A clan and a Spartan Company can be seperate things, though many Halo clans obviously formed Spartan Companies.
I think the official defenition is a group of players who operate under a common banner. The ones that take it stupid serious add rules and stuff.
"Dont be spoiled, dont start a fight. Always be careful, here at night. Because the Spartans might come, in suits that weigh half a ton. And they'll steal from you all you gots, just like they did from Colonel Watts."
New concept to me, but then again I don't really play custom games.
Im actually looking for a merc to assassinate an enemy clan leader.
Im actually looking for a merc to assassinate an enemy clan leader.
Might be better off in Recruitment then, mate. Assuming, you know, you want to invite the horde of dislikes, rages, insults, etc. that will inevitably follow from any KIA video you have put up.
Please don't revive old topics, thanks.