Forums / Community / General Discussion

What made you love Halo?

OP CTO of ECorp

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3
The first Halo game I played was Halo: Reach. I remember in middle school my friend had invited me over to his house. He convinced me to play some Halo: Reach. Before this, I had heard of Halo but didn't really care for it. We played some 1v1 and I wasn't impressed. Then, we played FireFight. Right there, that was the moment that I knew I had to get Halo for myself.

What moment made you realize that you loved Halo?
In 2002 I was not a gamer what so ever. Played a lot as a kid, Nintendo, Sega, etc. But not in my teen years.

So I'm over at a buddies house and I find out my folks can't come get me (30min away) for a while, like 7 hours. I tell my buddy and he says "Well man, you can come over to my dude's house and play Halo if you want, I was going over there once you left since I know you don't game."

"What's Halo?" ... I get there and it's a straight up 6 vs 6 LAN party. I had never seen anything like it. Within minutes I was hooked. I ended up staying the night for 2 nights just to play more. I was AWFUL I mean I really sucked but I just loved it. One of my favorite teenage memories was that week.

I started doing odd jobs around the neighborhood to raise money to buy my own Xbox, so I get one, get Halo, I fire it up... "Campaign" ... "What the hell is this?" ... Now maybe I wasn't a gamer in my teens but make no mistake I was still a NERD. Comics, D&D, Sci-Fi movies you name it. So, when I found out there was a story, and characters, and LORE. Wow...

Those 2 moments made me love Halo. And I always will.
My obsession with Halo came from big 4v4 system link parties when I was in middle school. Me and seven other kids would meet up at one of the kids' house for the weekend (two of us would bring an xbox each and someone had a 100 ft long ethernet cable) and play almost non-stop for at least a day and a half. Those were some of the greatest memories from my childhood. We'd even use that 100 ft cable to split the teams into two rooms so no one could "screen look" or "screen peak" when we were playing CTF (our favorite game mode). We all could just as easily played online, but the shared experience of sitting together and playing with each other was so much more memorable for me.

Then I went on to high school and sports and college... and I kinda forgot about Halo until I was hanging out with a high school buddy over winter break during college. I saw the holy Nylund Trilogy sitting on his bookshelf and had no idea there was an entire extended universe beyond the games. Needless to say, as has happened for many on here, I'm a lore addict now.
First started playing Halo in 2001 when a family friend introduced it to me, it stuck with me ever since I started playing it, I enjoy it that much ! Kinda funny how I was 6 when I first started playing it and Master Chief was 6 when he "joined" the Spartan program. The thing that creeped me out long ago was the Flood in CE.
What made me love it was it had my 2 favorite things, FPS and alien sci-fi. It was a big draw for me as I loved Star Wars. It consumed my life as a kid. I can't say it was the multiplayer as I didn't really have internet for quite some time. The art style was fresh and unique and the Forerunner and Covenant backstory and lore never ceased to amaze me. What great memories I have of this franchise. I'd love to forget it and go through it all blind and be amazed at everything I see/learn.
Playing with my brother on the last mission of Halo: CE. With the explosions and the race against the clock in a Warthog with the Flood all around, it was amazing.
I think the moment I realized I loved this franchise was after finishing the entire campaign of Halo 1 for the first time on co-op with my buddy way back in 2002. I honestly never felt more thrilled by one specific video game in my life. It also got me hooked on the Xbox. Before Halo I was a Nintendo gamer.
Played CE when it came out on brothers big screen with surround sound. Just sat in aww of the music and visuals. The lore and all the countless stories . Fan for life
I watched Halo 2 1v1s on my parent's DirecTV. I have no idea what channel it was on but I loved how the players would throw nades at doors predicting the enemy's movement.

After buying an XBOX along with Halo CE and 2, my brother and I decided to play through them sequentially. The last CE mission in the warthog was super immersive; the timer was in its last second when we made it onto the ship. It was so perfect that I now wonder if the timer was rigged to end up being really close...
I just became obsessed with it when my brother showed me it back in 2004
The moment I first picked up a sniper rifle in Halo 3. I love that weapon XD
2001, first time I stepped out of the drop ship on 'Halo' (mission 2)... Passed Mario 64 as my biggest 'whhhhoooooa' revolutionary moment in video games history.
Halo was where I made my first friends over the internet, Halo 5 in particular. We had so many fun times together these past 2-3 years, and now we're gonna meet in person for the first time this coming May. I'm so excited!!
Forge and Firefight over system link are what made me and my family fall in love with Halo! We've built a huge number of elaborate Forge maps over the years, and we still play them over system link every week. We mainly play Halo 3, Halo Reach and Halo 4.

We love Halo, but we were so sad when Halo 5 came out and they eliminated everything we love about the game. Halo 5 was the first Halo game we didn't buy. End of an era.

It's kind of ironic that so many people got started playing Halo with their families, and then 343 eliminated all the features that allow you to play Halo with your family.
In college my buddy invited me to his place to split screen PVP. For days I ran around l getting killed over and over and over again. I remember getting into combat situation and I would panic and be staring up at the top of the map or focused down shooting my feet. Everyone was better than me and finally one day everyone went home for the holidays. I played "on line" and got mopped. one day I was sent a message that said play the campaign. I did HALO 2 first on easy and finally on Legendary... I played the campaign 4 times on legendary that Christmas break. When my buddies came back they were in for quite a surprise.
Forge and Firefight over system link are what made me and my family fall in love with Halo! We've built a huge number of elaborate Forge maps over the years, and we still play them over system link every week. We mainly play Halo 3, Halo Reach and Halo 4.

We love Halo, but we were so sad when Halo 5 came out and they eliminated everything we love about the game. Halo 5 was the first Halo game we didn't buy. End of an era.

It's kind of ironic that so many people got started playing Halo with their families, and then 343 eliminated all the features that allow you to play Halo with your family.
Yeah, it's a shame. Last holiday season, my Dad and I played all of the Halo campaigns together on split-screen. It was so much fun. But I can't play Halo 5 with him but I really want to. I did play Halo 5 with one of my Xbox friends and it was fun enough but it's just not the same as having someone right next to you . Thankfully, Halo Infinite will have split-screen.
The story of halo is what really made me love it but the big thing is REACH this was a great game filled with heartbreak as you saw all your freinds die in front of you and also saw your self get killed rest in peace Noble team
10 Year old me found a trailer on YouTube for a game. a quote that would stick with me until I got a Xbox 2 years later and was able to play.
Quote:
"Always Remember Halo Reach"
The vastness and mysteriousness of the environments. I didn't quite appreciate this until CE (first game I played after H2). I always felt a desire to explore the cool -Yoink- in the background I could never reach like the Sentinel Wall in Halo 2. You can tell there's story behind it even if there isn't.
While I played some games in the past I still never called myself a gamer. Then my buddy introduced me to Halos 1 and 2 back in my late high school years. We played and I became in love with the series. Halos 3 and ODST already came out by that time too but my friend didn't own a 360 at that time so I saved up and bought myself an Xbox 360 (my first game console) specifically for Halo.

I love Halo mainly for the story, campaign, and the characters which is why Halo 4 is still currently my favorite game in the series. Master Chief and Cortana's relationship and their struggles against the Didact and Cortana's rampancy in that game sealed the deal for me.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3