Skip to main content

Forums / Community / General Discussion

When pc goes too far

OP edey0208

  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3
I've learn to deal with the fact that halo is on pc now but Halo was originally born on the xbox and I think that some are forgetting that it was. So to have Halo have some sort of exclusive nature on the xbox, I think that certain maps should be blocked on the PC and allowed on the xbox. Or do what cod does and have dlc release on the xbox first. But that is just my opinion. Thanks for reading.
That begs the question: why? How do players benefit from arbitrary exclusivity?
Microsoft have played platform favourites with Halo ever since CE, and while I do understand why (making one of the most popular game series exclusive to your platform is a pretty solid way to encourage console sales) it does nothing for the average person except limit their choices.

The idea that Xbox players should get some sort of bonus for supporting Halo over the years is thrown around a lot but, in my opinion at least, that's equally flawed; a lot of PC players would have supported the series had they been given the chance to (just look at the sales for Reach when it launched on Steam), and many others (myself included) did support it before moving to PC. Having to shell out for tech that is redundant and often underperforming compared to what you already own just to play one game series is a bitter pill to swallow so it's no mystery why many didn't.

In addition, releasing Halo on another platform (especially if cross-platform play becomes a reality) can only bolster the playerbase and improve the longevity of the series as a whole; it's no secret that Halo is well past its heyday and could do with some new blood. What reason would people have to pick up the games if they're being sold as an intentionally inferior experience?

The futher we move from ex(box)clusivity (no I'm not sorry for that joke), the better.
Blocking multiplayer maps on PC would be monumentally unfair. Halo fans playing on PC are just as deserving of a full game as anyone. Even restricting DLC bugs me. As someone who plays Destiny, having to wait for PlayStation to get 6 months or more of exclusive content before filtering down to everyone else sucked. Don’t want to see that with Halo.
That begs the question: why? How do players benefit from arbitrary exclusivity?
Microsoft have played platform favourites with Halo ever since CE, and while I do understand why (making one of the most popular game series exclusive to your platform is a pretty solid way to encourage console sales) it does nothing for the average person except limit their choices.

The idea that Xbox players should get some sort of bonus for supporting Halo over the years is thrown around a lot but, in my opinion at least, that's equally flawed; a lot of PC players would have supported the series had they been given the chance to (just look at the sales for Reach when it launched on Steam), and many others (myself included) did support it before moving to PC. Having to shell out for tech that is redundant and often underperforming compared to what you already own just to play one game series is a bitter pill to swallow so it's no mystery why many didn't.

In addition, releasing Halo on another platform (especially if cross-platform play becomes a reality) can only bolster the playerbase and improve the longevity of the series as a whole; it's no secret that Halo is well past its heyday and could do with some new blood. What reason would people have to pick up the games if they're being sold as an intentionally inferior experience?

The futher we move from ex(box)clusivity (no I'm not sorry for that joke), the better.
The reason why is because Xbox will be left in the dust
DC 409871 wrote:
Blocking multiplayer maps on PC would be monumentally unfair. Halo fans playing on PC are just as deserving of a full game as anyone. Even restricting DLC bugs me. As someone who plays Destiny, having to wait for PlayStation to get 6 months or more of exclusive content before filtering down to everyone else sucked. Don’t want to see that with Halo.
Yeah, that’s how exclusivity works
edey0208 wrote:
DC 409871 wrote:
Blocking multiplayer maps on PC would be monumentally unfair. Halo fans playing on PC are just as deserving of a full game as anyone. Even restricting DLC bugs me. As someone who plays Destiny, having to wait for PlayStation to get 6 months or more of exclusive content before filtering down to everyone else sucked. Don’t want to see that with Halo.
Yeah, that’s how exclusivity works
Well, you’d need a fairy good reason to justify exclusivity for Xbox and I don’t think latching onto “Halo used to be for the Xbox” only is going to work. Fans have wanted PC options for over a decade and giving them a lesser experience is disrespectful. You say Xbox would be left in the dust, but would it really? Not only that, but would map exclusivity really be enough to save the Xbox?
DC 409871 wrote:
edey0208 wrote:
DC 409871 wrote:
Blocking multiplayer maps on PC would be monumentally unfair. Halo fans playing on PC are just as deserving of a full game as anyone. Even restricting DLC bugs me. As someone who plays Destiny, having to wait for PlayStation to get 6 months or more of exclusive content before filtering down to everyone else sucked. Don’t want to see that with Halo.
Yeah, that’s how exclusivity works
Well, you’d need a fairy good reason to justify exclusivity for Xbox and I don’t think latching onto “Halo used to be for the Xbox” only is going to work. Fans have wanted PC options for over a decade and giving them a lesser experience is disrespectful. You say Xbox would be left in the dust, but would it really? Not only that, but would map exclusivity really be enough to save the Xbox?
Yes to 1st question, because there’s simply more people playing on pc which means a smaller percentage on the Xbox, people like easy ways to play and the pc is that easy way, therefore the Xbox would get left in the dust. As for your second question
if it’s a good map yes if not than no
I think there will soon be no reason to own an Xbox if you already have a pc if these halo game’s keep getting ported.
edey0208 wrote:
The reason why is because Xbox will be left in the dust
How, exactly?

Halo is Microsoft's flagship series that has been selling its consoles for 18 years; that isn't something they'll abandon any time soon, regardless of its exclusivity status. If they support Halo they'll support it on their own console, perhaps even more than on PC.

Xbox players will only be shafted if new titles in the series are poorly received (which will affect both platforms) or the consoles become ridiculously unpopular to the point that there is no playerbase; in both cases there are greater issues to worry about.
An argument could be made that a lack of crossplay would detract from the Xbox playerbase but considering 343's reluctance to tweak controller aim assist I expect we'll see it implemented before too long.

I agree with the above by DC 409871 - if Xbox is in a bad enough spot that this is indeed an issue, implementing map exclusivity is trying to extinguishing a house fire with a spray bottle.
I think there will soon be no reason to own an Xbox if you already have a pc if these halo game’s keep getting ported.
That’s my point
edey0208 wrote:
The reason why is because Xbox will be left in the dust
How, exactly?

Halo is Microsoft's flagship series that has been selling its consoles for 18 years; that isn't something they'll abandon any time soon, regardless of its exclusivity status. If they support Halo they'll support it on their own console, perhaps even more than on PC.

Xbox players will only be shafted if new titles in the series are poorly received (which will affect both platforms) or the consoles become ridiculously unpopular to the point that there is no playerbase; in both cases there are greater issues to worry about.
An argument could be made that a lack of crossplay would detract from the Xbox playerbase but considering 343's reluctance to tweak controller aim assist I expect we'll see it implemented before too long.

I agree with the above by DC 409871 - if Xbox is in a bad enough spot that this is indeed an issue, implementing map exclusivity is trying to extinguishing a house fire with a spray bottle.
Not bad of an argument, however I’m talking about in the halo area of games. But not bad.
Platform exclusivity is a stupid concept that shouldn't exist. The further we can move away from it the better.
Just to pitch in slightly, I believe the way Xbox/PC and even Playstations direction of all the seperate communitys being able to come together and all enjoy the games they love without boundries is the future of gaming, not this post. Examples being crossplay becoming common, more cross platform games etc.

I really don't see how cutting content from one platform benefits another, exclusivity strips people of being able to enjoy the games WE all love, purely for financial gain on the companies end.

On a personal note from an old man, I was able to enjoy the Halo series on PC from 2003-2008 ish onward with the releases of Halo CE/Halo 2, then that was suddenly stripped away due to exclusivity. I was forced to buy an Xbox 360 and an Xbox One in order to enjoy the games that I love so so much, finally the wait was over and I can now play my games on the platform I prefer again and you want some content to be removed? I've paid my price already waiting for a decade.
Nah if you're gonna release on multiple platforms I say keep them all up to date, no exclusive nonsense. That would just piss off the PC community and rightfully so, it's a scumbaggy practice.
"I was forced to buy an Xbox 360 and an Xbox One in order to enjoy the games that I love so so much"

Tell me platform exclusivity doesn't work.

Without Halo, Xbox would be the Zune.
CofC wrote:
"I was forced to buy an Xbox 360 and an Xbox One in order to enjoy the games that I love so so much"

Tell me platform exclusivity doesn't work.

Without Halo, Xbox would be the Zune.
I think it's less about platform exclusivity being effective and more of it just sucking for the consumer. Selling an inferior product to one platform is more likely to just have that audience wait for it to on par with the console version or just not buy altogether. Halo being on PC again won't kill the Xbox, there are still benefits outside of exclusives for people to own consoles.
I personally think that multiplatform releases should have the same content especially if your paying the same price. I saw something on the game control and what xbox, PlayStation and PC players were getting and the xbox was getting so much less then the PlayStation so I chose to pass on the game because of the difference in content.
Nope, I have to disagree. I play on both PC and Xbox and I don't see a reason to block people from playing things because of what system they prefer.
Blocking certain maps and other content for PC players would be a terrible move; it reminds me of the fiasco surrounding Halo 3 map packs and people not being able to play with each other due to some players not having the DLC. It would be a kick in the teeth to the PC comunity and would cause many people to turn away from the series, which is something that would be terrible.
Doing away with platform exclusivity is a pro-consumer choice over being a pro-branding (for Xbox, as a console) choice. The shape of the Xbox brand has been metamorphing into less and less of a product and more of a service over the last handful of years; I don't see this trend reversing in the years to come, given the ever-increasing focus on services like Game Pass and Game Streaming. MS has made a concerted effort to blur exclusivity lines to bolster this new vision and business philosophy by playing nice with Nintendo and even Sony (to the extent that Sony will reciprocate/allow).

I understand the apprehension about the turning tides of Xbox as it transforms from something familiar and traditional as a console into something more nebulous and inventive, which will certainly stumble in areas, and will do away with many features and staples of the traditional "console" gaming industry's methodology with which we've all been so comfortable for so many years.

The thought of the Xbox changing gears as a brand into something less directly competitive and more subersively symbiotic with other entities in the industry is something that I have mixed feelings about as well; it can feel like it's Xbox throwing in the towell and admitting defeat at the hands of the PS4, which doesn't feel just on account of how hard Phil Spencer and Co. have worked to restore acumen and respectability to the Xbox brand during the last five years.

I submit to you that, while I understand and to a degree share your concerns, it is neither your place nor mine to trouble ourselves over this. Xbox is a near and dear part of my life, and I have intense nostalgia and a great affection for the history of this brand. But the future of the brand is constantly changing, and it can't and won't be the same as it was before. Again, that's a little scary. But it's even more exciting when you look at the longstanding, blighted walls that MS has been working on tearing down in the gaming industry. First party console exclusivity being a great example.

Think of it this way; Microsoft is going out of their way to make sure more people can experience and fall in love with Halo, just like you and I did years ago on Xbox consoles. In so doing, they're not robbing us of our experiences and nostalgia, they're just sharing the love with others who haven't been so fortunate as to play these phenomenal games. I find that to be a soothing thought against the fear that Xbox won't be the same thing it was back in the 360 days forever.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3