Skip to main content
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
I have been a Halo fan for around 10 years now, and I can't help but remember when Halo Reach's graphics felt good, and the countless hours I spent on Halo 2 and 3, just trying to find easter eggs, I realized that this Trilogy was definitely my favorite, its interesting lore and characters, not to mention the wonderful soundtrack made by the Legendary Martin O'Donnell, truly made me fall in love with these games. I was just wondering why all of you enjoy Halo so much, which one did you play the most? Does the swap between Bungie and 343 really make you dislike a game, if so why?
I had a really hard time as a kid and I didn't spend too much time with my brothers but when we started playing Halo it brought us together and when I look back at the times when I was a kid i don't think of the bad times only the good times playing good ol' halo 1, 2, and 3.

I played halo 3 the most mostly -Yoinking!- around in custom games and forge.

When 343 took over I didn't really care I just wanted another halo to play. I'm not a big fan of halo 4 but I did think it was a good game but halo 5 kinda lost me with the whole no split screen.
I had a really hard time as a kid and I didn't spend too much time with my brothers but when we started playing Halo it brought us together and when I look back at the times when I was a kid i don't think of the bad times only the good times playing good ol' halo 1, 2, and 3.

I played halo 3 the most mostly -Yoinking!- around in custom games and forge.

When 343 took over I didn't really care I just wanted another halo to play. I'm not a big fan of halo 4 but I did think it was a good game but halo 5 kinda lost me with the whole no split screen.
My brother and I definitely grew closer thanks to Halo. We still play it together whenever we see each other. Just played Reach two weeks ago with him in fact. We're suckers for the campaign experience though. Tend to mess around with the skulls to make for hilarious situations while playing.

Agree wholeheartedly with your last bit. H4 wasn't great at first, but I enjoy it more now and appreciate the story it was telling. H5 lost me big time when I realized I couldn't play split-screen co-op or even MP with friends... A few years ago I had a roommate in an apartment. Before we moved in together, we met playing online H5 (we also met through our work, but that's hard to explain on here). When we moved in, we came to the horrifying realization that we couldn't actually play H5 together in the same room because we had to use online play. I hope whoever came up with that idea at 343 or Microsoft now realizes how dumb of an idea that was.
The nostalgia this series brings to me is unmatched by any other game series. I still remember when I had a friend over for a sleep over and we beat the Halo 3 campaign in one night. Memories like those will last forever! The game really changed though when Halo: Reach came out. I loved the variety of game modes they offered when it came to multiplayer and the improved firefight. Don't even get me started about how awesome the Noble Team were :). When this game got brought to PC, I quickly realized why I fell in love with this series in the first place. I am excited to see what 343 can bring to the table with Infinite and the future of MCC on PC.
Originally, Halo 1 was the coolest game ever made. Prior games like the original Doom was amazing, but Halo 1 had these semi large environments for the time. Not to mention the weapons, vehicles, etc which really added to the replay. The lore was/is amazing, the Covenant were great. Grunts, and all their comments made it just playing fun. And when you get to the second half of the game, and the Flood are revealed, it was pretty much a 'HOLY S**T' kinda moment.

Soundtrack is still amazing. Why doesn't 343 ask Marty to do the music for new Halo games? I know he had a falling out with Bungie w Destiny, but 343 needs to get him to produce some music. Unless he's not interested or retired.
I'm a rare case, the first Halo game I really dived into was Halo 4!

For most of that console generation I was a PS3 player, I had played the Halo 3 campaign through with a friend but as someone that hadn't played Halo before, I wasn't particularly pulled into the world and the nuances of the gameplay and MP purely because, well, I didn't really have the time to. I powered through the campaign round a friends house and didn't have money to buy a 360 of my own.

When I did own a 360 later on in the generation, I was a stereotypical teenager that drank a lot of Mountain Dew, who wasn't? I'd buy a bottle most mornings going into college and it was around the time they were doing a promotion alongside Halo 4 so I figured I may as well start entering all these codes I was otherwise throwing in the trash. Dozens of codes later I had a handful of Avatar costumes but more importantly, a copy of Halo 4. Again the campaign didn't mean to much to me as I was wasn't invested in the long term story at the time but I had an absolute blast with the MP, I never really had friends on 360 as I'd built up a friend base on PS3 but I would spend a few hours by myself every couple of days grinding out some levels on H4.

I know there was some 'less than kind' comments surrounding a lot of the mechanics and the gameplay feel of H4, at least at the time that it released, making comparisons to more modern FPS franchises. Personally I think that's what helped me lean into the series a bit better before going back and playing older titles because until then I was mainly an avid Call Of Duty player when it came to MP games. I've of course since gone back and played older titles and can appreciate Halo 5 a lot more than I feel most do as I think it's the perfect blend of old meets new. Halo 4 was a drastic change and Halo 5 redefined and tweaked the H4 formula with a slightly more classic Halo shine and buffer treatment, it's great.
Nope both groups made great games
1. I grew up with it and as I grew and changed I found new reasons to like the games.
2. Multiplayer wise I think I played halo 5 the most because it came out during an easy time in my life where I could spend all my times on games and it was the first game where I really started interacting with the community. Far as campaign, easily halo 2, by far my favorite campaign. I cant even count how many times I've replayed outskirts and delta halo.
3. While I prefer the bungie era of games, I do enjoy the 343 ones and think the series is in good hands, because they've really embraced the idea that every halo game is different from each other, though they do have a tendency to get ahead of themselves. Halo 5's multiplayer was fun but even just glancing at the game it looks like they made a list of everything they thought might be cool and tried to ram it all into one game.
Matt71 wrote:
Originally, Halo 1 was the coolest game ever made. Prior games like the original Doom was amazing, but Halo 1 had these semi large environments for the time. Not to mention the weapons, vehicles, etc which really added to the replay. The lore was/is amazing, the Covenant were great. Grunts, and all their comments made it just playing fun. And when you get to the second half of the game, and the Flood are revealed, it was pretty much a 'HOLY S**T' kinda moment.

Soundtrack is still amazing. Why doesn't 343 ask Marty to do the music for new Halo games? I know he had a falling out with Bungie w Destiny, but 343 needs to get him to produce some music. Unless he's not interested or retired.
In actmans interview, marty says he has a bit of an interest in making halo music again but he thinks that ship has sailed with being on highwire and since 343's never asked him.
I've not been able to put the game down since around 2008, playing Halo 3 on my neighbours Xbox 360. I probably spent the most time on Halo Reach and 5, different games completely but show the progression of the franchise and you can't fault 343 for that. If it was the same game with better graphics after 4 years, we'd all put it down after a week. I can't fault a Halo game and it's gotten us to where we are now
I love all the Halo games in general, so the change hasn't really hurt me playing too much. I came really late to Halo in 2013 and it was my first true "mainstream" online game. Reach was the first title I played and I loved every bit of it, playing for hours. Halo is just very unique to me. Even with people saying the newer games are clones. They all still feel very "Halo" in the end.
Why do I like Halo so much?
Primarily because it was the first online multiplayer game I had ever played back in 2007. And I enjoy reading the lore within the novels and the comics.
Which one did you play the most?
Between all of my accounts, I definitely have more hours in Halo 5 than any other Halo title among my collection.
Does the swap between 343 and Bungie really make you dislike a game?
Not at all. I think the modernization of the franchise actually made it a lot more interesting to play. It's nice to be able to play a faster game like Halo 5 and then later switch over to a game like Halo 3 with a completely different set of rules and art style. It makes it so there's plenty of variety in design and opportunities. While the modernization may have not sat well with some of the other veterans, I think it was essential to the franchise and it was better that they started reconfiguring the design earlier in the swap rather than later.
I grew up with my dad and my cousins being Halo fans, and watching them play while I was young probably helped in my interest in the game. My cousins used to give me an unplugged controller when I was young so I could "play" with them. I was only 1 when CE was out and 4 when 2 released, so I didn't get to properly play until 3, and didn't even get to play online until 4. Now that I'm almost 20, I'm glad I grew up with the series. My favorites are still CE and 2, but 3 and 4 are great as well. I didn't really mind the switch from Bungie to 343, personally, I thought that as long as the game was fun, it didn't matter all that much, and I certainly had fun with 4.

The one I play most is still CE, something about those old graphics and sounds, the balance of the multiplayer, and the pure chaos it can be just keeps me coming back every time. Now that MCC is on PC it's easier than ever for me to play easily with friends, and I'm really happy about it. Still waiting on cross-play to come so I can get together with my old Xbox friends as well, but that'll be a while.

I still have my dad's old modded Xbox, so I can play CE and 2 without needing their disks anymore, and even mess around with some fun external cheats if I want to!
I've been playing Halo all of my life, I just took a while to realize it.

I first played Halo CE back when I was a tiny tot at a cousin's house. I didn't know the game, what it was about, nothing, just that me and my cousin were having a blast messing around with needlers and constantly dying/killing Keyes as a result.

Fast forward a few years, I wanna say somewhere around 5-6 years after that. I get my first XBOX for myself, not playing at someone else's house, and I start finding games to play on it. I found Halo 1 and 2 at Blockbuster (Rest in mostly peace you old blue and yellow store you) and naturally, I rented them to play. Stopped Halo 1 when I got to the Flood's intro level because they freaked me the hell out as a kid. Ironically, I managed to play all the way through Halo 2 as a kid.

Fast forward again, around 2008. Got a 360 now and I manage to find and then buy the Legendary Edition for Halo 3. And then, the legendary edition for Halo Wars. And preordered Halo: ODST.

Basically, the only Halo I didn't buy from day one in either normal or special edition form was Halo 5 and Halo Wars 2, both because I didn't have an XBOX One at the time. That is, until, my 360 finally up and broke on me around 2016. At that point, I got a XBOneX and have played through MCC, 5, and Wars 2 thanks to Game Pass, though I had to start my current Xbox account on one of my parent's emails since the old account was defunct due to having a defunct Email that I didn't know the password to. So I had to start up my Halo collection all over again from scratch in terms of games played.

I beat 3, Reach, and ODST on Legendary alone (from what I remember) on my old account, and I fully intend to do it again in due time again.

Basically, Halo has been there for me for a very, very long time, and through ups and downs, I've stuck with it whenever I could. Now, come good or bad, I'm waiting for Halo Infinite to come out so I can add it to my collection.

That's my story, what are all yours'?
For a ton of different reasons. I grew up on Halo with the launch of CE on the original Xbox, so nostalgia definitely plays it's part I'm sure. But the series has always been a staple go-to game for me. Equal starts, simple mechanics, and basic gun play were enough for me to lose myself in and have a great time, especially since players are able to take those simple mechanics and make incredible plays with them on maps, whether it's multiplayer, or insane speed runs in campaign.

Should you decide to not read the books, you'd be missing out on quite a bit of lore, but the originally series has an easy to follow narrative in those games so you don't actually need any background knowledge beforehand. But it definitely hooked me in, prompting me to want to dive into more of the extended lore regardless.

Also, the sandbox allows you to do things like this in game.
My friend in high school had the first gen Xbox and bought Halo CE. A bunch of us went over his house play. Honestly I didn't know what the game was about or what we were doing. But man, everything about the game was so different and alluring. Subconsciously it'd probably captured my heart already.

This post has been hidden.

Why Halo? My first true experiences of First Person Shooters (FPS) started with a few games; Call of Duty Black Ops, 007 Goldeneye, Medal of Honour and Halo 3 ODST.

I managed to play a huge amount of COD but the game that actually gripped me was ODST.
From the beginning cutscene and the escape out of New Mombasa I was hooked. I always played games that made me a huge Hero saving the world, this actually soon got boring for me as I began maturing. Not knowing Halo before hand gave me a better ability to put myself in the game as the Rookie, confused and lost, looking for my squad (whom I fell in love with almost instantly) and most importantly to try escape the city.

I was curious about what universe I had dropped into, not long after i began reading, watching and learning the lore behind Halo. Everything about it with all the twists and turns made me care and get genuinely curious about what will happen. The games are what gave me this love and so each game gives a different experience and feeling to me... But ODST will always hold a special place in my heart, long with Alpha Nine.
I really love the story and the gameplay in the Halo Franchise. The Halo Franchise is currently one of my favorite franchises. I started playing Halo many years ago. I play Halo Combat Evolved on PC and Halo 2 on Xbox. After that, I stop playing Halo until the year 2019. That's where I play Halo again especially playing the Halo Master Chief Collection on PC. I was so happy that I can finally play Halo again. I am also very happy that I can finally follow the entire story from Halo Reach to Halo 4.
I would basically live at my friends house in the summers. When halo 2 came out all we did was big team battle on split screen. We loved going in the warthog or using 2 ghosts (ghost patrol we called it). Halo 3 had the best campaign out of any Halo imo.

I like halo above other games because it seems despite being 1 inch from death you can always pull wizard moves off long enough to get your shield recharged to fight again. It's not like many other FPS's where it's essentially "I saw you before you saw me so I killed you". You don't have to "die" and wait to respawn. You just have to get that energy shield back up to full in 5 seconds and you can fight on from where you are. I love that.

I
I'm hooked on the Halo lore. It, in return, draws me repeatedly into the games, over and over. Books, models, games, posters, fanart, the lot. I can't get enough. For a game to create such a vibrant universe around it, I'm sold.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2