Forums / Community / General Discussion

Why is Halo trying to look more present-day?

OP TheHappyGoat

Most things in Halo aren't known for looking super futuristic, but the new Halo artstyle seems to be dialing it down even more.

In Halo CE through 4 we see a sleek Scorpion with sharp angled corners. In Halo 5 this is replaced by a bulky, more industrial looking tank that doesn't really convey "this game is set 540 years in the future". The warthog was never a particularly futuristic vehicle but it still had a streamlined elegance to it. In Halo 4 we see bullbars slapped onto it and a crude-looking set of jerry cans on the back. I sincerely hope we're not still using gasoline as fuel by then, lol

And then there's the decision to turn the SPNKr, an iconic double-barreled death cannon, into a very modern-day looking bazooka.

I really hope this trend doesn't continue in Halo 6. If this is an attempt to appeal to a broader demographic of FPS gamers then its pretty silly since I'm sure most people go into Halo with the expectation of everything being futuristic and stylistic, not reminiscent of the shooters that they're used to. The addition of ADS for every weapon kind of hints at what 343i is trying to do with Halo's art direction.
They use hydrogen as fuel for the warthog,which can run out,so it makes sense to have some with you in jerry cans,even if the warthog could run on nearly every water bassed liquid,including water that went through the human body.
The SPNKR was not changed for Halo 5, so to speak. Rather, they replaced it initially with a new rocket launcher, the M57 Pilum. However, fans made it known that they wanted the return of the classic SPNKR, so it was brought back in a later update.

As for the tank, well, again, Halo 5 introduces a new model compared to before, but even so, I view the changes as being done due to the increased power of the Xbox One compared to the 360 and original Xbox. The Scorpions of Halo CE-3 were indeed sleeker, with less protrusions and textures. But that could have been a design choice based on the technological limitations at the time.

But that's all really besides the point. What "futuristic" human military tech should look will be different from person to person. But even in the old Halos, it was familiar looking enough to be immediately recognizable as human, compared to Covenant tech. I don't think the artistic changes for humans in Halo is as drastic as you seem to. Forerunner stuff, on the other hand...
In Halo CE through 4 we see a sleek Scorpion with sharp angled corners. In Halo 5 this is replaced by a bulky, more industrial looking tank that doesn't really convey "this game is set 540 years in the future".
Yet many people have been saying they want Halo to look less sleek and shiny and sci-fi (Halo 5's look), and more gritty and industrial and militaristic (Halo Reach's look). They really can't please everyone, it seems
I seem to have a completely different mindset than you. I feel everything in halo 5 looks too futuristic. It looks more like it takes place 5,000 years in the future instead of 500.
In Halo CE through 4 we see a sleek Scorpion with sharp angled corners. In Halo 5 this is replaced by a bulky, more industrial looking tank that doesn't really convey "this game is set 540 years in the future".
Yet many people have been saying they want Halo to look less sleek and shiny and sci-fi (Halo 5's look), and more gritty and industrial and militaristic (Halo Reach's look). They really can't please everyone, it seems
I've never seen anyone complain about Halo Reach's art style.
I seem to have a completely different mindset than you. I feel everything in halo 5 looks too futuristic. It looks more like it takes place 5,000 years in the future instead of 500.
well compared to most works of future sci-fi, halo looks like it takes place about 50-100 years in the future.
That's exactly what I'm saying. People like Reach's art style because in that game, the stuff looks a lot like modern day military stuff. But you seem to consider that a negative thing
I dunno, I'd say the aesthetic of H5 certainly suites the timeframe, 500 years into the future our technology, especially military technology should function and look noticeably different. Just look at how much both weaponry and uniforms have changed in last 500 years, the British army isn't marching into battle with redcoats anymore, we're not using crossbows or plate armor either. If you think about it, H5's art-style is probably the most realistic out of all the games precisely because it actually appears as though military hardware has evolved in a noticeable way, I'm probably going to get hate for saying this....but imo the industrial "modern" aesthetic that previous games such as Reach used always felt a bit immersion breaking, it made things look as though humanity had only advanced a few decades instead of centuries.
I completely disagree, I think it's going the opposite way. The UNSC uniforms, ship designs, armor designs, Data pads, facilities, weapons, and technology have all become so much more advanced, shiny, and clean.

The one exception that I can think of that actually take inspiration from the modern world in 343's games are the Halo 5 Rocket Launcher (which is a lame rip off of the real life M72 LAW) and the issue there is that it lacks creativity and spits in the face of the actual design.

That being said, Halo has always had a fine line between advanced technology and the modern world, from which it used to derive most of its art style from.
Even in CE, I always thought the UNSC vehicles looked more present day design than 500 years in the future. For the smoothness and stuff, I agree with Chimera in that it was probably more due to technical limitations.
No it doesn't. This is the Year of our Lord 2018. 5,000 years ago was 3018 B.C. Troy was just being founded, and the Minoan civilization was being extyablished. 5,000 years later we have airplanes, a space program, laser guns (prototype), skyscrapers, VR, and Rooster Teeth. If anything, the Halo technology seems sort of piecemeal. The spacefaring technology I could well believe is 500 years in the future, but the other stuff, such as small arms (still gunpowder-propelled ballistic), armor (marines still don't use exosuits, which we are already starting to develop), and vehicles (We have what are basically Falcons today, also no flying cars) seem like next 100 years stuff.
If that's what you think the modern M1 Abrams looks like then each to their own mate
That's exactly what I'm saying. People like Reach's art style because in that game, the stuff looks a lot like modern day military stuff. But you seem to consider that a negative thing
I remember quite a few people mad abut reach designs, and that halo 4 carried over a bunch of them.
I remember quite a few people mad abut reach designs, and that halo 4 carried over a bunch of them.
Both points are now forgotten :p