Forums / Community / General Discussion

Why so much Noob hate?

OP Sgt Palooggoo

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3
I'm pretty sure it's because most people (well, I think most, at least) associate the term 'noob' with 'that one squeaky teammate that goes 0-20 and betrays you for the sniper rifle' as opposed to 'valued, constructive community member'.
Wouldn't jerk be a more accurate insult for someone who betrayals you?
I'm more speaking of noobs who are less experienced than unhelpful, rude & unskilled players
Yes it absolutely would be more accurate...but gamer language doesn't really make sense....just like the English language it came from.

Rude jerk = Noob.
LUKEPOWA wrote:
Newbs are like the cannon fodder in games. They can be helpful though in objective games because they'll usually go for the objective nonstop. Now 'noobs' on the other hand I hate because they're the ones that will betray you for weapons or do stupid stuff on purpose.
Same for me.
IrishLaws5 wrote:
I'm pretty sure it's because most people (well, I think most, at least) associate the term 'noob' with 'that one squeaky teammate that goes 0-20 and betrays you for the sniper rifle' as opposed to 'valued, constructive community member'.
I'm more speaking of noobs who are less experienced than unhelpful, rude & unskilled players
Yes it absolutely would be more accurate...but gamer language doesn't really make sense....just like the English language it came from.

Rude jerk = Noob.
To be fair, this thread is the first time I've ever come across this interpretation of "noob". In every other context I've seen it, it has always referred to the unskilled, and perhaps unwillingly unhelpful player. Never before have I seen it used as a synonym for "jerk". So, I still question the prevalence of this use of the word.
IrishLaws5 wrote:

Rude jerk = Noob.
Yeah I don't understand gamer talk very well
IrishLaws5 wrote:
LUKEPOWA wrote:
Newbs are like the cannon fodder in games. They can be helpful though in objective games because they'll usually go for the objective nonstop. Now 'noobs' on the other hand I hate because they're the ones that will betray you for weapons or do stupid stuff on purpose.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS
Yeah, like, why???
tsassi wrote:
IrishLaws5 wrote:

Rude jerk = Noob.
To be fair, this thread is the first time I've ever come across this interpretation of "noob". In every other context I've seen it, it has always referred to the unskilled, and perhaps unwillingly unhelpful player. Never before have I seen it used as a synonym for "jerk". So, I still question the prevalence of this use of the word.
Maybe it's just the spelling? Newb and Noob? They're very different, though the pronunciation is the same.
IrishLaws5 wrote:

Rude jerk = Noob.
Yeah I don't understand gamer talk very well
Haha I get it. I'm a teenager though so it's kinda my territory.
IrishLaws5 wrote:
Maybe it's just the spelling? Newb and Noob? They're very different, though the pronunciation is the same.
No, it's not that. As far as I'm concerned, those have always meant the same thing to me. With that said, after a quick look around, more people make the distinction than I would've initially thought. So, these days "noob" has two different commonly used definitions: one being just an alternate spelling of "newbie", and the other being more derogatory.
To the OP's point, yes we should all be more forgiving and welcoming to newbs. That way they don't pick up the bad habits that turn them into evil-Gremlin like noobs.
To the OP's point, yes we should all be more forgiving and welcoming to newbs. That way they don't pick up the bad habits that turn them into evil-Gremlin like noobs.
What a great point! 👍
Why do people hate noobs? Because they suck and make the team fail nine times out of ten. That's why.
Noobs are a good thing! more people to join our beloved community!
The only time I get annoyed at "noobs" is when my high Warzone MMR on Halo 5 puts my team of 6 skilled players with 6 random "noobs" who go (on average) negative by double digits every game.

Other than that, I don't really care much. We were all new to Halo at some point.
Sounds like a noob to me
Just remember without noobs there would not be pros, we need them and they need us.
I don't like losing because one teammate went 4 - 20
Noobs are just people who just do everything that opposes the game like killing you, not doing the objective, or just being a -Yoink-.
Exactly. I dont mind newbies its the "noobs" i cant stand.
Wait, there's been noob hate? I get the regular irritation about noobs being noobs, but we all did start there at one point. I think the reason why you're seeing these hate videos pop up is because some people just have a low tolerance for casual new players when they're taking the game seriously.
This. Exactly. I have no problem with noobs. The higher the population on Halo, the better. I've been a big fan of this franchise since its inception (yes, I'm old) and anytime I see a post about "noob" hate, it makes me feel like we are putting up a wall and not allowing anyone new to enjoy this franchise. Bring in more noobs. We can always use a population boost.
Why do people hate noobs? Because they suck and make the team fail nine times out of ten. That's why.
T3hMadman wrote:
I don't like losing because one teammate went 4 - 20
Back when I played PvP Halo, sometimes I was in the situation where teammates performing poorly caused us to lose the match. But as long as my own performance wasn't bad, I didn't care. If my K/D for the match was at all positive, or even 0, I didn't get frustrated. I knew I did my best, so I felt no reason to get upset at my team losing the match.

Conversely, sometimes I would get a little annoyed with myself if I went negative during a match, even if our team won. What I'm trying to say is that my own performance has a far bigger effect on how frustrated I get, than that of my teammates. What mattered to me, more than anybody else's performance, was how much I contributed to the team, whether we won or lost.

Even when I play Warzone Firefight, I've been in situations where I'm the only one calling in reqs to complete the objective, and we end up losing because I can't do everything by myself. This is somewhat frustrating, but I don't let it get to me that much, because I know I did my best and that's what really matters to me.

So why get angry if your team lost the match? Why hate new players when you can still do your personal best? The only reason I can think of is that your W/L ratio matters a lot to you. If that's the case, and you don't play with a full team for whatever reason, then you just have to accept the fact that your W/L, and possibly other tracked stats, are influenced by whatever random people you get matched up with, to some degree. If you can come to terms with that fact, then you'll probably be able to relax a bit and stop hating new people so much.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3