Skip to main content

Forums / Community / General Discussion

Why The Halo Franchise Needs to Release More Games

OP SMLRMDJ

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
36 months on average between installments is too large of a gap in between games. By all accounts, Halo's popularity as a franchise is declining and I truly believe that's due in part to the long wait time. In a sense, Halo takes itself a bit too seriously on that front, mistakenly believing that it's the game that everyone is waiting to play. Maybe that was true from 2004-2007, but this is 2017 and a lot has changed since then. Halo is forever in my heart the phenomenon that it was to the culture back then. The universe that it spawned is second to none in my opinion, and I'll always be on my toes for the next chapter. But Microsoft and 343 have to understand that that's not the case for most gamers anymore. There are lots of other franchises competing for our attention, and even the ones with weaker stories and characters seem to be doing a lot better than Halo right now.
That being said, I believe Halo can began to generate more interest with a shorter timetable between releases. Whether it's a spinoff or main installment, the wait time shouldn't be any longer than 18 months. That way, the franchise stays fresh and alive with new stories and characters.

• Spinoffs
  • DLC
Spinoffs - The universe is rich enough with lore to create many great spinoff games. Recently there's been a lot of talk on youtube over what a Flood based horror game would be like. For example, a new character, not necessarily a Spartan, but maybe a marine, ODST, ONI agent, or even a civilian, fights their way through a flood outbreak. Or how about a game that told the story of the Forerunner Flood War, or Human/Forerunner War? The more I think of it, Halo 5 with the right plot tweaks could've worked better as a spinoff game centered around Fireteam Osiris, rather than an entry into the main franchise. Spinoffs can include other game formats, such as an RPG, or even a third-person shooter.

DLC - N1K Leonhart started a thread about campaign based DLC. I agree with them one hundred percent! One of the biggest complaints about Halo 5: Guardians was its lack of missions featuring Master Chief and its overall feeling that you didn't really have anything to "fight for" like you did in previous Halo games. Solid campaign based DLC could've been helpful to supplement Halo 5, even it was backstory only partly related to the main narrative. Possible examples could've been solo missions for the different characters on Blue Team and Osiris. I would love to play a sniper based mission as Linda, or follow Locke as an agent of ONI. Such content could've been used to supplement the story and develop characters more fully.
I don't think the timeline is an issue, so much as how little we get when we consider how long it's taken. Most people are willing to wait a little longer if the rewards are good enough.

I think this would be a good model, though. DLC might be the easier of the two, from the perspective of the designers.
Some ideas for spinoffs:
https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/forums/90a6869bcf944c54a17102ac9e31da1a/topics/halo-spinoff-games/fbf1cbfa-9f89-449f-946a-cbc13b006c3a/posts

Two posts on how these spinoffs could be made:
https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/forums/f9237adeaf1742c09de144d7bf3f7507/topics/halo-5-odst-1-2/9e006cef-f1a3-4415-b5e9-b2c6d893092c/posts
https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/forums/f9237adeaf1742c09de144d7bf3f7507/topics/swords-of-sanghelois-spinoff/042403ed-eae7-4854-939a-8b28a9520b13/posts?page=1#post20

What do you think?
Some ideas for spinoffs:
https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/forums/90a6869bcf944c54a17102ac9e31da1a/topics/halo-spinoff-games/fbf1cbfa-9f89-449f-946a-cbc13b006c3a/posts

Two posts on how these spinoffs could be made:
https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/forums/f9237adeaf1742c09de144d7bf3f7507/topics/halo-5-odst-1-2/9e006cef-f1a3-4415-b5e9-b2c6d893092c/posts
https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/forums/f9237adeaf1742c09de144d7bf3f7507/topics/swords-of-sanghelois-spinoff/042403ed-eae7-4854-939a-8b28a9520b13/posts?page=1#post20

What do you think?
I like your idea of a Swords of Sanghelios spinoff. I also think 343 should look into developing a saga on the Human/Forerunner War. I think that has the potential to be incredible. Osiris would be good to feature in a spinoff game too. There's so much happening within the Halo Universe that the franchise shouldn't live or die with Master Chief's popularity. What happens when 343 decides to "end" his story? What then? We need spinoffs and new characters to ensure the universe can live on after Chief is put on ice, or at least sufficient time has passed for a complete franchise reboot.
We need something to happen like Gears of War 4, how they moved the spotlight on to the new protagonist, Fenix's son. If Chief had a son, he could continue on his legacy.
We need something to happen like Gears of War 4, how they moved the spotlight on to the new protagonist, Fenix's son. If Chief had a son, he could continue on his legacy.
Like Locke?
Like Locke?
Locke is not his son though. I don't feel a strong connection with Locke as i do with chief.
Like Locke?
Locke is not his son though. I don't feel a strong connection with Locke as i do with chief.
Well, seeing as Chief never will and definitely can't have a son, you'll have to look for a successor outside of his family.
I'm torn on this. As previous posters have pointed out, I'm okay with waiting 3 years as long as the payoff on the narrative is worth it. That hasn't been the case with the most recent title, and to be honest, they only get one mistake before the decline in interest is irreparable (Halo 5 being the mistake as I loved every aspect of Halo 4's story). With Halo 5 having so many issues from a narrative perspective (from the pre-launch marketing, to in game inconsistencies, and inconsistencies with the larger universe as a whole), it'll be 6 years until we could have a properly told Halo narrative (in the main franchise of games) between Halo 4 and Halo 6. That could be longer if Halo 6 doesn't live up to expectations or if you didn't enjoy Halo 4 as I did. That is far too long, and it's a length of time that will alienate fans who won't be coming back.

So, a shorty life cycle on games could work, but I'd prefer them maybe on the 18 month or 2 year cycle. Having spin-off games could continue to work, but I love the books, so those can suffice. If they go the spin-off route, they need to go in a separate time period (Forerunners, etc.) or a completely different perspective (a Sangheili, etc.). Either way, the shorter turnaround cycle would mitigate issues with the narrative... though, they'd still have to up their game from Halo 5's debacle to continue to hold onto their fans. As OP stated, there are far too many games competing for players attention (on the whole, maybe not those who come to these forums), so keeping it fresher in everyone's mind is no doubt beneficial.
Halo 4 told one of the best stories in the franchise, along with Halo: Reach. The score for both games was also amazing and connected me to the heart and spirit of the story.

This may be nit picky, but I didn't like when 343 reverted back to the original Gregorian chant theme music for Halo 5. The woman's solemn chanting in Halo 4 was perfect for the game's setting, and I liked the fact they they chose to initiate something new. I was sitting with my girlfriend talking and Halo 4's theme music was playing in the background in MCC. She said to me, "that music sounds so sad." Hearing her say that reminded me of how 343 did such an incredible job of telling a sad, lonely, and emotional story.
SMLRMDJ wrote:
Halo 4 told one of the best stories in the franchise, along with Halo: Reach. The score for both games was also amazing and connected me to the heart and spirit of the story.

This may be nit picky, but I didn't like when 343 reverted back to the original Gregorian chant theme music for Halo 5. The woman's solemn chanting in Halo 4 was perfect for the game's setting, and I liked the fact they they chose to initiate something new. I was sitting with my girlfriend talking and Halo 4's theme music was playing in the background in MCC. She said to me, "that music sounds so sad." Hearing her say that reminded me of how 343 did such an incredible job of telling a sad, lonely, and emotional story.
Yeah man that Halo 5 main menu music is so out of place for how the game feels and plays
SMLRMDJ wrote:
36 months on average between installments is too large of a gap in between games. By all accounts, Halo's popularity as a franchise is declining and I truly believe that's due in part to the long wait time. In a sense, Halo takes itself a bit too seriously on that front, mistakenly believing that it's the game that everyone is waiting to play. Maybe that was true from 2004-2007, but this is 2017 and a lot has changed since then. Halo is forever in my heart the phenomenon that it was to the culture back then. The universe that it spawned is second to none in my opinion, and I'll always be on my toes for the next chapter. But Microsoft and 343 have to understand that that's not the case for most gamers anymore. There are lots of other franchises competing for our attention, and even the ones with weaker stories and characters seem to be doing a lot better than Halo right now.
That being said, I believe Halo can began to generate more interest with a shorter timetable between releases. Whether it's a spinoff or main installment, the wait time shouldn't be any longer than 18 months. That way, the franchise stays fresh and alive with new stories and characters.

• Spinoffs
  • DLC
Spinoffs - The universe is rich enough with lore to create many great spinoff games. Recently there's been a lot of talk on youtube over what a Flood based horror game would be like. For example, a new character, not necessarily a Spartan, but maybe a marine, ODST, ONI agent, or even a civilian, fights their way through a flood outbreak. Or how about a game that told the story of the Forerunner Flood War, or Human/Forerunner War? The more I think of it, Halo 5 with the right plot tweaks could've worked better as a spinoff game centered around Fireteam Osiris, rather than an entry into the main franchise. Spinoffs can include other game formats, such as an RPG, or even a third-person shooter.
DLC - N1K Leonhart started a thread about campaign based DLC. I agree with them one hundred percent! One of the biggest complaints about Halo 5: Guardians was its lack of missions featuring Master Chief and its overall feeling that you didn't really have anything to "fight for" like you did in previous Halo games. Solid campaign based DLC could've been helpful to supplement Halo 5, even it was backstory only partly related to the main narrative. Possible examples could've been solo missions for the different characters on Blue Team and Osiris. I would love to play a sniper based mission as Linda, or follow Locke as an agent of ONI. Such content could've been used to supplement the story and develop characters more fully.
I would have to disagree. to make the fanbase stay it is all about quality not quantity. the mainline games have been dipping in quality which lead to a lower fanbase, but once halo 6 comes out polished and not rushed then it should be the best game that Halo has.
Xomet wrote:
SMLRMDJ wrote:

• Spinoffs
  • DLC
I would have to disagree. to make the fanbase stay it is all about quality not quantity. the mainline games have been dipping in quality which lead to a lower fanbase, but once halo 6 comes out polished and not rushed then it should be the best game that Halo has.
Spinoffs should be done by another developers so 343 can focus on mainline games.But it all depends on Microsoft if they want to make a new gaming studio or hire some existing ones to do more Halo games.
It may further fuel the argument that halo is cod. Also quantity over quality isn't always the best marketing strategy.
I think the waiting time is the problem. If the game is good then people will want to buy the next one if its made by the same quality. And what quality requires? Well for one, time to develop a good game and not just spew a game after another in quick rate. When its about games i always look for quality to put my money on and id rather wait even longer than now, easily, if it means a quality game. Its just quality over quantity.

and spin-offs are fine but they still take the same time to develop since those are games too and those require the same things as the main games. Unless it changes to genre that is easily developed. And the way to get these between the main games would be pretty much just letting some other studio to make it which might mix things up or take the time from main game which is not really a thing that anyone would want. Though other studio could be a better idea of those 2 options.

and as for the story DLC. no thanks. When i buy a game i expect to buy a full game and i expect to see the full story and not "to be continued on DLC or be confused on the sequel", and what about offline players then.
While I'm fine with Halo branching out into different storylines and possibly even genres, I don't want Halo to become a yearly franchise like CoD or Assassin's Creed.
Chimera30 wrote:
While I'm fine with Halo branching out into different storylines and possibly even genres, I don't want Halo to become a yearly franchise like CoD or Assassin's Creed.
Except it was from 2009 to 2015. We've seen a Halo game release every year since then. They may not all be major titles, but they released.

2009- ODST and Wars
2010- Reach
2011- CEA
2012- Halo 4
2013- Assault
2014- Strike & MCC
2015- Halo 5

2016 was the first year without a new Halo game unless you count Halo 5: Forge.
Chimera30 wrote:
Except it was from 2009 to 2015. We've seen a Halo game release every year since then. They may not all be major titles, but they released.

2009- ODST and Wars
2010- Reach
2011- CEA
2012- Halo 4
2013- Assault
2014- Strike & MCC
2015- Halo 5

2016 was the first year without a new Halo game unless you count Halo 5: Forge.
Whelp, looks like all hope is lost.
SMLRMDJ wrote:
I actually agree with this a lot, but as Chimera30 said, I don't want Halo to become a yearly franchise. While a lot of people say "Why not? It'll be good.", I think yearly releases could ruin Halo's quality. So let me put it this way: I love 343 to death and everything they've done for Halo. I love the new gameplay mechanics, art style, pretty much everything except for the new Grunt voices (which isn't a huge deal, anyway); So most of you would consider me a "blind follower" of 343. But I am not afraid to point out their mistakes. Currently, 343 is one of the most privileged developers out there; they have tons of lore to pull from, 2 1/2 years between releases to whip up a good game, and lots more. So I'm left asking: "What's with the lack of content?"
The free DLC is no excuse; with all the added DLC, it equates to what the game should've been at launch.If 343 has a difficult time pulling off a mainstream game like Halo 5 in 2 1/2 years, what do you think would happen in 18 months? The overall quality would dip tremendously! Either they need a bigger team, or they need to figure out what works for them, in the case of an 18 month release period.
Either way, I think 343's finally getting the hang of what the community wants, as 343 was always good at listening to the community.
SMLRMDJ wrote:
I would despise campaign-based DLC. I would prefer a spinoff. Maybe...maybe 343 could do something similar to Halo: 3 ODST and explain what happened to all of Blue team in the first person perspective and how they met up with Chief after all these years. Like show what Fred's life was like until Halo 5 and a separate mission showing what Linda's life was like; with all the different campaigns converging into one during the timeline of Halo 5 as the ending. I think (as a spinoff) it would be great, lots of lore opportunity to show what 343 can really do.

Anywho, I do not want campaign DLC!! Eugh, it gives me chills...I don't mind optional microtransactions (I never buy them anyway), but I do not want 343 to lock(e) (haha: Locke) part of the story behind bars just for an hour of entertainment. I want a full, complete game for something like that. Even so, I wouldn't want a spin-off release every year; just every so often.
SMLRMDJ wrote:
I actually agree with this a lot, but as Chimera30 said, I don't want Halo to become a yearly franchise. While a lot of people say "Why not? It'll be good.", I think yearly releases could ruin Halo's quality. So let me put it this way: I love 343 to death and everything they've done for Halo. I love the new gameplay mechanics, art style, pretty much everything except for the new Grunt voices (which isn't a huge deal, anyway); So most of you would consider me a "blind follower" of 343. But I am not afraid to point out their mistakes. Currently, 343 is one of the most privileged developers out there; they have tons of lore to pull from, 2 1/2 years between releases to whip up a good game, and lots more. So I'm left asking: "What's with the lack of content?"
The free DLC is no excuse; with all the added DLC, it equates to what the game should've been at launch.If 343 has a difficult time pulling off a mainstream game like Halo 5 in 2 1/2 years, what do you think would happen in 18 months? The overall quality would dip tremendously! Either they need a bigger team, or they need to figure out what works for them, in the case of an 18 month release period.
Either way, I think 343's finally getting the hang of what the community wants, as 343 was always good at listening to the community.
SMLRMDJ wrote:
I would despise campaign-based DLC. I would prefer a spinoff. Maybe...maybe 343 could do something similar to Halo: 3 ODST and explain what happened to all of Blue team in the first person perspective and how they met up with Chief after all these years. Like show what Fred's life was like until Halo 5 and a separate mission showing what Linda's life was like; with all the different campaigns converging into one during the timeline of Halo 5 as the ending. I think (as a spinoff) it would be great, lots of lore opportunity to show what 343 can really do.

Anywho, I do not want campaign DLC!! Eugh, it gives me chills...I don't mind optional microtransactions (I never buy them anyway), but I do not want 343 to lock(e) (haha: Locke) part of the story behind bars just for an hour of entertainment. I want a full, complete game for something like that. Even so, I wouldn't want a spin-off release every year; just every so often.
I guess the scary part is the fact that 343 took 3 years to give us Halo 5. What would happen in 18 months? LOL! Perhaps as N1K Leonhart suggested above, Microsoft could hire out another studio for the spinoffs. It seems to have worked well for Halo Wars.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2