Forums / Community / General Discussion

Will the next Xbox have a smooth launch ?

OP F22 Raptor X1

I'm optimistic that it will have a smooth launch, because of how stable the Xbox 360 is now.

The Xbox 360 S/Slim seems to be the most stable Xbox 360 model, it would be very odd for the next Xbox to not be as stable.

I know the next Xbox will have different hardware inside, but I think Microsoft has learned how to put that hardware together, they have 10 years of experience making consoles.

Hopefully that experience will be used correctly.

The only real thing I'm worried about is how easy it will be to move media/game saves to the next Xbox . .

It would be nice to be able to transfer what's on my Xbox 360's 320 GB hard-rive to the next Xbox's hard-drive, so I can have everything on one Xbox console, instead of two consoles.

And hopefully such a transfer process would be very easy and not change the access I have to that data/media.

Is anyone else optimistic that the next Xbox will have a smooth launch ?
Post this topic again when the console comes out, then we'll all be able to answer your question.
Quote:
Post this topic again when the console comes out, then we'll all be able to answer your question.
I know people need to know about the next Xbox, but the question could be answered with regards to Microsoft's track record with console launches and their most recent console launch the Xbox 360 S.

I know the Xbox 360 S is a revised version of the Xbox 360, but it still had a console launch.
Quote:
Don't worry. I've got all his threads saved just waiting for the right occasion.
There's bound to be something that goes wrong in the transition. Imagine the amount of variables that go into a game launch, a console launch probably has ten times the amount of variables which could go wrong.

There is always going to be issues with new console launches, what is important is how timely those problems are dealt with.
Quote:
There's bound to be something that goes wrong in the transition. Imagine the amount of variables that go into a game launch, a console launch probably has ten times the amount of variables which could go wrong.

There is always going to be issues with new console launches, what is important is how timely those problems are dealt with.
That is so true . .

I think Nintendo did a good job dealing with the 3DS's launch.

I'm not necessarily talking about the price cut (That helped 3DS, but I know that most likely wouldn't happen for the next Xbox, unless it's launch went really bad) but I'm talking about the 3DS's ambassador program.

I personally think every console should have such a program ready to go, if a consoles launch is bad enough to trigger such a program.
So, you want a hard drive transfer cable?
Quote:
So, you want a hard drive transfer cable?
That's a part of the whole pie that is a smooth launch.

A big piece of having a smooth launch is a easy and fair backwards compatibility.

It sure would be nice to have such a cable.

Especially since the launch of a new console usually has bad to ok games.
I hope you will be able to play Xbox 360 games on the new gen. It would make things so much easier. I have also heard rumors about skype being the next xbox live chat system. I hope this isn't true because it'll give skype an excuse to charge more money
The launch depends on three things, IMO.

1. Games. Games need to be a priority for any console release, that's the point of a console, a game-dedicated PC at a affordable price.

2. Believe it or not, not everyone wants to spend hundreds of dollars on just anything. *cough*except ipod crap*cough* A next gen xbox costing over 400 dollars is going to have a hard time convincing people why they need it over other media. This is where features come in. Like a Windows 8 infrastructure. Better live/achievement system. Apps. Backwards compatibility. etc.

3. Convenience. For starters, people wont want a console that has limits like always online, because it isnt convenient. Only the inner city people will be able to play steadily for hours without hiccuos that could be game-breaking. Or if MS has any kind of online updates like PS3 which makes our consoles completely obselete for that time frame. Another thing is backwards compatibility. The next gen will obiously have a smaller install base, and with new people, this feature may or may not matter depending if they wish to buy 360 games along with the smaller 720 selection. But for people who have a large 360 library (like me,) I'd rather be able to play my games on the 720's UI so that I can (possibly) play a 360 game while chatting with buddies (if the 720's live system overlaps the 360's.)
Quote:
The launch depends on three things, IMO.

1. Games. Games need to be a priority for any console release, that's the point of a console, a game-dedicated PC at a affordable price.

2. Believe it or not, not everyone wants to spend hundreds of dollars on just anything. *cough*except ipod crap*cough* A next gen xbox costing over 400 dollars is going to have a hard time convincing people why they need it over other media. This is where features come in. Like a Windows 8 infrastructure. Better live/achievement system. Apps. Backwards compatibility. etc.

3. Convenience. For starters, people wont want a console that has limits like always online, because it isnt convenient. Only the inner city people will be able to play steadily for hours without hiccuos that could be game-breaking. Or if MS has any kind of online updates like PS3 which makes our consoles completely obselete for that time frame. Another thing is backwards compatibility. The next gen will obiously have a smaller install base, and with new people, this feature may or may not matter depending if they wish to buy 360 games along with the smaller 720 selection. But for people who have a large 360 library (like me,) I'd rather be able to play my games on the 720's UI so that I can (possibly) play a 360 game while chatting with buddies (if the 720's live system overlaps the 360's.)
I couldn't agree more with this, games are the main thing when it comes to a console having a smooth launch.

Everything else is really just a side thing, that could be good or bad.

Hopefully Microsoft will have a AAA (Halo, Gears, or even a new IP) game ready for the launch of the next Xbox that appeals to the majority of people who would buy it.

All big 3 companies don't seem to realize that fact =( Nintendo being the latest, and then having Shigeru Miyamoto say please have patience, I mean come on they should of had a Mario/Zelda/Star Fox/Metriod game ready for the Wii U's launch.

If Microsoft pulls the same thing that Nintendo did with the Wii U, I think the next Xbox will have a bad start, and Microsoft might not be able to get away with it like Nintendo seems to be doing, because Microsoft had all the bad PR.
Quote:

lol, so true. Especially when it comes to MS. Almost every console, program, OS.....there's a guarantee that something will happen.