Forums / Community / General Discussion

[Locked] Wired vs. Wireless

OP BadDogg55

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
I've heard that using a wired controller is better than wireless. Supposedly there only milliseconds in difference. That's so quick you can't even see it.
I was thinking about getting a cord for my controller, but I've never actually heard from anyone first hand if there's any noticeable difference.
Has anyone used wired vs wireless?
There's no real noticeable difference, but the fact is a that it is ever so slightly quicker to react, just nice to know your doing all you can to win
Have used both, and the only difference I notice is not having to change batteries.
I don't think there is any difference, or at least I don't think there is, but I think the psychological effects that it has leads you to think that you can do better than everyone else (supposing that they were all using wireless). Or, it leads you to rage quit bad.
With wired controllers, you don't have to worry about changing the batteries and having them run out of energy in the middle of a game. It REALLY sucks when that happens. On the other hand, if you use a wireless controller then you have one less wire to untangle. Tangled wires are in my opinion just as annoying as a wireless disconnecting.
There is a slight difference in wired and wireless. If anything, the TV will have more of an impact than a wired vs wireless control.
The figure I've heard cited is that wireless connectivity in general adds about 20 milliseconds of additional latency. This doesn't sound significant by itself, but there are many other sources of latency, and so when you put this additional 20 milliseconds on top of about a hundred from other sources, it's not entirely insignificant.

The important thing to understand about how latency works is that less latency isn't better because it makes you marginally faster. It does, but that's not so significant because random deviations in your reaction time often trump the effects of latency. The real importance of latency is that with any amount of latency you'll have to make actions based on not what's happening now, but what will be happening X miiliseconds in the future. That is, latency doesn't make players as much slower as it just makes them plain worse in every aspect.

Even relatively low latencies can impact performance. I long ago remember reading a paper that cited 20 milliseconds as the minimum amount that still has a perceivable effect on performance. And even if 20 milliseconds by itself doesn't sound significant, the difference between 75 and 55 can be a meaningful difference.

All that being said, whether you favor wired or wireless comes down to personal preference. Personally, I never use wireless not only because of the latency, but because batteries never last long enough, and they run out at the worst of times (there's never a good time for batteries to run out). Wired is just much more convenient in every situation as far as I'm concerned. The lower latency is only a nice bonus.
I was playing wired as my batts were almost dead and today went back to playing wireless, I noticed something that I thought i would not that it was slightly slower just a tiny bit but enough that I noticed after a few games. Tbh I thought maybe my sensitivity setting might have been changed nope it was because I was used to playing wired crazy.

Being a competitive game that Halo 5 is where having even a slight edge matters am now on going to be playing wired.
Thanks everyone for the feed back... I'm new to online gaming and I've noticed lately when I shoot I can't hit the broad side of a barn with a shot gun! So far I'm pretty bad at aiming and am struggling to improve, but I noticed that I'm lagging when I get a shot in. I shoot then a second or so later the spartan falls. I'm trying to adjust so I can hit something with some kind of precision. (or hit something period!) My Xbone latency is at 47 which should be fine. Supposedly the sweet spot is 50 give or take a few. Like I said I've never played online until Halo 5. I started the 1st of January so I have 3 mos in now. I'm at SR35 or so. Should it take this long to get the shooting dialed in or am I just being to impatient. Of course there's always the option that I'm just getting to old to play decent. 60
I don't like wired controllers because I hate dealing with the wires, but I also kind of hate how fast the Xbox One controller eats through batteries. And any time difference between the two isn't too significant to me, so I generally prefer wireless.
I don't like wired controllers because I hate dealing with the wires, but I also kind of hate how fast the Xbox One controller eats through batteries. And any time difference between the two isn't too significant to me, so I generally prefer wireless.
I was looking at controller cables on Amazon earlier and they have a battery pack with the cable for $15.00. That way you could play wireless and when the battery pooped out you could plug the cable in and play while it charged. It was exactly like the Microsoft cable but 10 bucks cheaper.
On amazon, there's a certain brand of batteries:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JHKSMJU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Cheap and very very nice, i use them occassionally

But I like glowing things, sticking out to myself, I got the Afterglow controller, I have yet to have any real problems (besides the cord occassionally coming out from the controller from me having something on the cord) But I love it, change the color to match you, easy button layouts, and even has extra buttons on the back you can assaing. Though they're difficult to work into your already hand cordinated mind with the controller. You can take a look, other than that, I myself, saw no difference between wired and not wired.
Wired Definitely, I have the elite controller and had a problem with it losing wireless conection during matches very annoying. Good thing the controller came with a wire.
There is sensitivity changed that some pros say wired they drop down 1. So if at send: 5 you would want 4 because wired technically online has advantage we ran them side by side I'll always use wired
I didn't know there really is a difference. You made me test the wire that came with my controller, thanks!
TimeKilla wrote:
I was playing wired as my batts were almost dead and today went back to playing wireless, I noticed something that I thought i would not that it was slightly slower just a tiny bit but enough that I noticed after a few games. Tbh I thought maybe my sensitivity setting might have been changed nope it was because I was used to playing wired crazy.

Being a competitive game that Halo 5 is where having even a slight edge matters am now on going to be playing wired.
I just wanted to contribute to the topic by stating that I play wired 99% of the time with an Elite controller and I have, also, noticed this slight bit of extra latency when switching to wireless (on a full battery charge). I am hyper-sensitive to minor fluctuations in latency - likely, due to the fact that I've been playing FPS titles regularly since they became a thing for most of my life -many hrs per day, everyday.. (I'm 34 now).

The extra latency associated with wireless mode is definitely there, however, most people wouldn't even notice it and, tbh, as much as it bothers me to feel an extra frame or two of input delay, it shouldn't directly hinder my performance or anyone else's, however, (for me) it has the potential to do so, indirectly, (mentally) because the thought of this has the tendency to distract me during a gaming session.

Wireless latency will be greater than wired latency, however, on a full battery charge the difference is negligible due to the fact that the XB1 controller handles wireless mode much more efficiently than legacy devices such as X360 controllers & current-gen alternatives such as the PS Dualshock controllers (which are horrid, imo). Furthermore, as battery power lessens, the latency will increase to some degree.
With all the things that can contribute to latency, I try to limit as much as I can. TV set to game mode, XBOX hard wired, XBOX NAT set to open, and wired controller. Yes the wires are a pain, but I still prefer wired controller.
A few milliseconds won't drastically change the outcome of any game. For the average player (myself included), it's honestly not worth the trouble to minimize / eliminate input lag to the absolute extreme.

Then again, there's nothing in the way to stop you guys.
There is almost no change at all.
I use the wireless controller and I've never had any problems using it. I don't think it's worth the money to go out and get a wired one.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2