Forums / Community / General Discussion

Xbox 360...Doomed to die?

OP Solus Spectre

I've just read an article on Yahoo, (not sure if I'm allowed to post links here) but it states that Microsoft is struggling, and quotes "The Xbox was never going to make up the slack, and Microsoft can no longer afford to keep investing in it".

I have a hard time believing that Microsoft is going under, but their doom is beyond my worries. Are we going to lose our console? What are your thoughts?

Some reassuring words would be nice if there are any!
Quote:
I've just read an article on Yahoo, (not sure if I'm allowed to post links here) but it states that Microsoft is struggling, and quotes "The Xbox was never going to make up the slack, and Microsoft can no longer afford to keep investing in it".

I have a hard time believing that Microsoft is going under, but their doom is beyond my worries. Are we going to lose our console? What are your thoughts?

Some reassuring words would be nice if there are any!
You can post links here :P

As for the console... I doubt they'd screw themselves over more by stopping live or console production, especially with the nextbox on the horizon.

As for them going under... Aside from (maybe, bing maybe) they are the largest software designers in the business, so I doubt they'd really go under.
I don't think Microsoft will fain seeing as there a key maker of software for PC player and they are working on the Xbox720(AHG! The name..) Can we just call this thing Xbox: revolution!? It sounds better then another 360
I doubt Microsoft has lost money on the Xbox 360. They make us pay for so much crap (Gold Pass, Hdd, etc) that if they went under, its their own fault!
*looks at the Kinect*
Here's the article.

Quote:
9. The Xbox was never going to make up the slack, and Microsoft can no longer afford to keep investing in it.

In a year of relative gloom, Microsoft's Xbox has become a big bright spot for the company. Kinect is great technology, people are still buying the console, and it's been a great entry point for Microsoft to take over the living room. But, for a company like Microsoft, Xbox isn't enough. Microsoft had $21 billion in operating income last year. The Entertainment and Devices division, which is home to the Xbox had $364 million in operating income. So, as nice as Xbox is, it's not going to be enough to boost Microsoft if the rest of the business collapses.
I fail to see how the Entertainment division being only a fraction of the total operating income makes the writer assume the Xbox is not worth investing. Relative to its size, the Xbox is probably one of the most profitable things Microsoft currently has. For the last couple of years, due to the technology becoming older and cheaper, they have been building very cheap consoles and selling them for large profit. I don't see how cutting the support for the entertainment division would help them in their financial troubles. If anything, it would only make the problems slightly worse. So, unless the Xbox suddenly becomes unprofitable, I don't see it going anywhere.
Quote:
I doubt Microsoft has lost money on the Xbox 360. They make us pay for so much crap (Gold Pass, Hdd, etc) that if they went under, its their own fault!
*looks at the Kinect*
Also as a fail as the Power glove! so bad~