Halo 5: Guardians Local Server provides a new way to create, host and play custom multiplayer games in Halo 5: Guardians on Xbox One on a local network. Using this simple application, players can host a local dedicated server on a Windows 10 PC connected to the same network as Xbox One consoles for low-latency Halo 5: Guardians multiplayer matches.
This app provides a method for local tournament organizers to set up their own events in a scenario that closely mirrors professional tournament configurations. Using this tool, you can create a local server similar to those used for the Halo Championship Series events, providing an ideal proving ground for everything from professional and amateur competitive events to friendly basement matches.
Internet connectivity for host PC and consoles is required for Xbox Live sign-in and Post-Game Carnage Reports, but all gameplay traffic is transmitted over the local network, significantly reducing internet bandwidth requirements, and providing buttery-smooth gameplay goodness.
Benefits of this app include:
- Faster connectivity for low-latency multiplayer matches in Halo 5: Guardians for Xbox One
- Easy setup - simply launch the app, join the custom server in the game, and play!
- Significantly reduces internet bandwidth requirements
- Closely replicates tournament setups used for esports events like Halo Championship Series and Halo World Championships
LOCAL SERVER REQUIREMENTS
- Windows 10 PC that meets or exceeds system requirements listed below
- Local network connection for host PC and Xbox One consoles with Internet connectivity
- Xbox Live membership for each Xbox One console
Note: This tool is designed specifically for console play on Xbox One, and does not work with Halo 5: Forge on Windows PC.
PC SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS
- Intel Core i5 (Haswell) at 2.2 GHz or AMD Ryzen 3 at 3.1 GHz
- 4GB RAM
- DX11 or higher
- Suitable for up to 8 players
- Intel Core i7 (Skylake) at 3.3 GHz or AMD Ryzen 5 at 3.2 GHz
- 8GB RAM
- DX11 or higher
- Suitable for up to 16 players
INSTALLATION & OPERATION INSTRUCTIONS
- Download the Halo 5: Guardians Local Server Application HERE, and install
- Launch the Local Server app on your PC
- Configure the local server name (Optional)
- Log into Xbox Live and launch Halo 5: Guardians on the Xbox One console(s)
- Navigate to "Custom Game Browser", select your local server and join the fight!
Get the latest troubleshooting tips, leave feedback, and join the discussion in the Halo 5 Local Server Official Forum Thread.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Why do I need an internet connection to use this?
An internet connection is needed to log into Xbox LIVE and start up a match. Once in the match, an internet connection is required to generate our post game carnage report.
Does Halo 5: Guardians Local Server support Halo 5: Forge?
We designed Halo 5: Guardians Local Server to work exclusively with Halo 5: Guardians on Xbox One. Games played with Halo 5: Guardians Local Server can load any custom maps and modes created in Halo 5: Forge.
What happens if I lose internet connection during a game?
Your game will complete as normal but you will not receive a Post Game Carnage Report. Also, any stats that would normally go to the stats API will not be uploaded. You will not be able to start new matches until internet connectivity is restored.
Can I download stats from my Halo 5: Guardians Local Server games?
Yes! Stats for Halo 5: Guardians Local Server games are available through our Halo Public API developer program, available at: https://developer.haloapi.com/
Does Halo 5: Guardians Local Server require Xbox Live Gold?
No! All Xbox Live users, Gold and Silver, can use Halo 5: Guardians to play games on a Halo 5: Guardians Local Server
Do I need a PC to run Halo 5: Guardians Local Server, or can I use a tablet or laptop?
All PC form factors that meet the minimum system requirements can run Halo 5: Guardians Local Server. To support a smooth experience in games with more than 8 players, review the recommended system requirements above.
Who can Play on my Halo 5: Guardians Local Server?
Connectivity is restricted to the local area network. Additionally, the PC running Halo 5: Guardians Local Server and all Xboxes running Halo 5: Guardians must share the same subnet. Consoles will not be able to see or connect to your local server if they are on different subnets, or outside your network (e.g. over the Internet). The local server will be available to all consoles on the subnet.
How much bandwidth do I need when using Halo 5: Guardians Local Server?
By using Halo 5: Guardians Local Server, all gameplay traffic will stay within your local area network. The amount of bandwidth will vary based on how many users are present. For a 16 player game, approximately 10 Mbps of bandwidth is required between the local server and all Xbox consoles.
By keeping the core gameplay traffic within the local area network, Internet bandwidth requirements are reduced. During gameplay in a 16 player game, up to 2 Mbps of Internet bandwidth is used by the local server.
How many Local Servers can I run on my PC at a time?
You can only have one active Halo 5: Local Server running on a PC at a time.
First Person Shooter