By ske7ch -
Attention Spartans - Halo 2: Anniversary is now available for PC via Xbox Game Pass for PC (Beta), the Microsoft Store, and Steam! Get Halo 2 for the platform of your choice HERE and read on for more details on the latest title to join Halo: The Master Chief Collection on PC.
earth will never be the same
The destruction of the Halo ring slowed the Covenant – but it did not stop them. Now, with the human military scattered and crushed, our greatest foe has gained a foothold on Earth. The fate of the planet now lies in the hands of one man – Spartan 117 – the Master Chief. Facing overwhelming odds with the future of humanity on the line, Chief must rely on new weapons and unexpected allies to drive back the Covenant and uncover a secret so incredible it will change the Galaxy forever.
Halo 2: Anniversary is a gloriously remastered version of the original Halo 2 (2004), initially released on Xbox One with Halo: The Master Chief Collection in 2014. Similar to Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary, players can play through an enhanced version of the Halo 2 Campaign that features updated visuals and audio along with new Blur-created cinematics. Halo 2: Anniversary also includes an updated multiplayer experience featuring remasters of 7 iconic Halo 2 maps which include several different weapons and power-ups compared to the original game. Or, if you prefer to kick it oldschool, you can battle through the original Halo 2 campaign or jump into classic Halo 2 multiplayer across a total of 25 maps.
With the epic second chapter of Master Chief’s saga and a robust suite of legendary classic Multiplayer maps and modes alongside remastered content, Halo 2 and Halo 2: Anniversary offers a massive amount of gameplay and unique experiences – now optimized with new PC-specific features and settings.
To bring Halo 2 to PC we’ve partnered again with Saber Interactive to tap into their expertise and history with the franchise to deliver an authentic experience to PC players. In addition, we’ve once again partnered with the Halo community via the Halo Insider Flighting Program to gather hands-on feedback during development.
Halo 2: Anniversary for PC includes several updates and additions over the original Xbox One release including:
- New Spartan and Elite player customization model viewer
- MCC Season Progression System w/ new Campaign Challenges (v1)
- Mouse + Keyboard input support
- Customizable key bindings
- Variable Framerate Support (VFR) (*experimental)
- Adjustable Field-of-View (*experimental)
- Ultrawide and alternate resolution support
- Text chat
The new Halo 2 appearance editor
With today’s release of Halo 2: Anniversary, Halo: The Master Chief Collection will also receive a general update that includes some additional fixes and features:
- Theater is now enabled for Halo: Reach and Halo 2: Anniversary on PC
- Campaign Challenges are now available across MCC (on console and PC)
- With this initial implementation, players can earn XP by completing Campaign missions every week. More to come! Read more HERE.
- Various fixes for bugs and community-reported issues
Please visit the Halo Support site and review the complete MCC May 12 Patch Notes for additional details on today’s update.
Along with today's release, PC players will find a few new Halo 2 and Halo 2: Anniversary Matchmaking options available within MCC. The initial Ranked and Social Matchmaking options and modes are listed below:
- Halo 2 Hardcore (4v4 w/ Hardcore rules)
- Halo 2A Hardcore (4v4 w/ Hardcore rules)
Halo 2 & Halo 2: Anniversary Social Games (Match Composer)
- 1v1 – Hardcore settings
- 2v2 – Precision Slayer, Flag & Bomb, Zone Control, and Asset Denial
- 4v4 – Precision Slayer, Auto Slayer, Flag & Bomb, Zone Control, Asset Denial, Action Sack, Swat, and Snipers
- 8P FFA – Precision Slayer, Auto Slayer, Zone Control, Asset Denial, Action Sack, Swat, and Snipers
- 12p FFA – Infection (Halo 2: Anniversary only)
- 8v8 – Precision Slayer, Flag & Bomb, Zone Control, Asset Denial, Action Sack, and Snipers
FINISH THE FIGHT
PC players will have a few different avenues to obtain Halo 2: Anniversary depending on their platform of choice:
- Xbox Game Pass for PC (Beta) – Join Xbox Game Pass for PC (Beta) and get Halo: Reach, Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary, and Halo 2: Anniversary today as part of Halo: The Master Chief Collection. Halo 3, Halo 3: ODST (Campaign), and Halo 4 are also included in your membership and will be available on each game’s respective release date, completing the collection in 2020.
- Microsoft Store and Steam – The Halo: The Master Chief Collection bundle is available today for $39.99 USD, which includes today’s launch of Halo 2: Anniversary along with the already-available Halo: Reach and Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary and will automatically update with the remaining titles as they launch over the course of this year. Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary, Halo: Reach, Halo 2: Anniversary and the remaining titles within Halo: The Master Chief Collection for PC can also be purchased individually for $9.99 USD (except for Halo 3: ODST Campaign which can be purchased for $4.99 USD).
FEEDBACK AND SUPPORT
Thanks to your input and partnership we’ve flighted and shipped three legendary Halo titles to PC so far. With each release, Halo Insiders have stepped up to help surface issues and provide feedback contributing to better overall experiences for everyone. Thank you!
Today is an exciting milestone for the team and Halo players but please remember that our work is far from done. As the team looks ahead to the remaining titles in the collection, work still continues on backlog items including community reported issues and feature requests from Halo: Reach, Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary, and now Halo 2: Anniversary. Some of these items are well underway and targeted for flighting soon, while others are further out and require more time and resources than is currently available. Keep an eye on our monthly development updates, along with our Friday Halo Insider updates, here on Halo Waypoint for the latest news and insights on future fixes and features.
Remember that you can share feedback with us here in the Halo Waypoint Forums which we review and track regularly to help inform future work priorities and opportunities.
Halo Support Site
If you encounter a bug or similar issue while playing MCC, please visit the Halo Support Site.
Before filing a support ticket, please check the known issues lists:
These articles include various issues the team is already aware of and, in many cases, working on via more current internal builds. If you encounter an issue on this list, a support ticket is not required.
And please help our agents help you by only filing bug tickets for issues that aren’t on the Known Issues list and by only filing a single bug/issue per ticket. If you need help using the Support Site, please check out THIS ARTICLE.
Additionally, keep an eye on @HaloSupport for late-breaking news and support-related information.
Following the release of Halo 2: Anniversary for PC, the next order of business for the team is preparing for Halo 3 flighting! Work is also already underway for an update that will address some of the current H2A Known Issues which we'll get into flighting as soon as possible. In parallel, work continues on Forge for Halo: Reach and Halo 2: Anniversary on PC along with a variety of outstanding issues and community requests.
In addition to larger patches, the team is also continuing to work on regular updates to MCC Matchmaking with a steady stream of improvements and evolutions to address top areas of community feedback. Weekly playlist update details can be found in the Halo Waypoint forums and via the in-game Message of the Day.
Halo 3, along with updates to Halo: Reach, H:CEA, Halo 2: Anniversary, and ongoing improvements to MCC all-up, will continue to take place in close partnership with our community. For a chance to participate in a future hands-on flight, please opt-in to the Halo Insider Program and ensure your profile is up to date (especially a valid and verified email address).
The journey to bring Halo 2: Anniversary to PC has been a long, winding one and we truly couldn’t have done it without the support of the Halo community. Through dozens of updates, countless pages of feedback, bug tickets, flighting, and more – we’re honored and thankful to have your partnership on this great journey to bring all of MCC to PC.
We can’t wait to jump into Matchmaking with today’s launch of Halo 2: Anniversary on PC and look forward to continuing to collaborate on The Master Chief’s iconic journey throughout 2020, leading up to the launch of Halo Infinite later this year.
On behalf of the entire team, thank you for your continued support and we’ll see you online!
BONUS: ADDITIONAL READING
For more insights into the journey to bring MCC to PC, check out our monthly development update blogs which are jam-packed with insider info on everything from in-development features to flight planning to community requests, bug fix status, and more.
- April Update Blog (Covid WFH recap, key binding update, view model adjustments, H2A flighting recap, and more)
- March Update Blog (Challenge system preview, backlog update, H2A flighting info)
- February Update Blog (Flighting recap, design update, audio update)
- January Update Blog (Feature and bug updates, flight planning)
- December Update Blog (Holiday event, community reported issue status, upcoming work)
- Modding Blog (A look at the past, present and future of Halo modding)
- Weekly Insider Update Thread (This thread is updated ~every Friday with the latest Insider flighting news)
- Ongoing Playlist Update Notes - Xbox & PC (An archive for past and present weekly Matchmaking updates)
And as always, follow @Halo on your favorite social media platform to keep up with MCC and all things Halo!