By Official HCS -
In an event that was as ceaselessly exciting as the host city itself, the Las Vegas Qualifier lived up to its billing as a must-watch stop on the road to the Halo World Championship 2017 Finals. The incredible weekend of matches featured the most overtime periods ever seen in a major tournament, a testament to the ridiculously tight competition up and down the bracket.
The main stage was packed all weekend long with a powerfully passionate crowd who spent much of their time on the edge of – or jumping out of – their seats as 62 teams fought furiously to climb their way to the top. When the dust settled under the neon Nevada night, six teams had staked their claim to a spot in the HaloWC 2017 Finals on March 24-26.
TOP 6 NA HALO WC QUALIFIERS
- OpTic Gaming
- Team Liquid
- Team EnVyUs
- PNDA Gaming
- Luminosity Gaming
- Str8 Rippin
TOP STORIES IN 4V4
- OpTic Gaming proved once again why they are still the best team in North America – and likely the world – and they are headed into the HaloWC 2017 Finals looking ripe to repeat as World Champions, this time representing the #GreenWall. These guys were having fun all tournament long, and looked incredibly calm and comfortable on practically every map and gametype.
- As the team that many thought had the best shot at defeating Optic Gaming, Team Liquid was eventually shut down not just once, but two times by the defending World Championship squad. Team Liquid knows they’ve still got work to do if they are going to take down the champs at Finals.
- Despite qualifying for HaloWC Finals, the Boys in Blue almost look like they are struggling to fight their way into the Top-2, much less take it all. With now back to back 3rd finishes in the past two tournaments, this roster seems to have lost something and fallen behind both Optic Gaming and Team Liquid.
- Easily one of the most shocking stories of the weekend, PNDA Gaming proceeded to put together a performance that took the entire competitive Halo community by surprise. After a lackluster St. Louis Qualifier performance that saw them finish outside the Top-8, many saw this team as a roster potentially past their prime. After that tournament however, Naded saw an opportunity to revitalize their squad with a talented young player in Danoxide, who had recently been dropped by Team Allegiance. The move paid off in spades, culminating in a scintillating matchup with their old organization with a trip to the HaloWC 2017 Finals on the line. In the end, PNDA Gaming brought an immense amount of energy and intensity through the entire match leading them to a 4-2 victory over Team Allegiance, and whipped the crowd into a frenzy as a tearful Naded celebrated his return to Halo’s biggest stage.
- Facing arguably the toughest bracket of any team, Splyce found themselves in an early matchup against Optic Gaming in Round 2 of the Winners Bracket. Showing no mercy, Optic Gaming swept the young Splyce roster in a dominant fashion. In the end, Splyce fell just short of a qualifying spot for the HaloWC 2017 Finals. Though the disappointment is still fresh, all eyes will be on the incredibly talented roster in this coming weekend’s NA Online Last Chance Qualifier to see if Splyce can rebound to earn their way into the HaloWC 2017 Finals.
In the FFA tournament, Juziro took down a talented field of over 200 competitors on his way to grabbing the top spot, and banking a cool $2,500 cash for his efforts.
UP NEXT: LAST CHANCE QUALIFIER
Closing out the road to the Halo World Championship 2017 Finals is the NA Halo World Championship 2017 Online Last Chance Qualifier on March 11-12.
Download the handbook HERE
- Any team can sign-up and compete on March 11th HERE
- Gametypes for Open LCQ are available HERE
- Single Elimination bracket
- Best of 5 matches
- Top 8 teams qualify to play on March 12 against the Top 8 teams in HWC points
- Gametypes for Championship LCQ are available HERE
- Top 8 teams with most HWC points – Seeded by points
- Top 8 teams from Open LCQ on March 11
- 16 team bracket
- Double Elimination Bracket
- Best of 5 matches
- Best of 7 match for Grand Finals
- Winning team goes to Halo World Championship 2017 Finals
- Championship LCQ will be broadcast on twitch.tv/halo